No announcement yet.
X

New Rider

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am short 5'1, but very strong in the legs. i keep hearing the 600 katana is a heavy bike. im really atheletic and play basketball and soft ball. also, i will b riding with other ladies and they ride 600, dont want to b the last 2 get there!

Comment

Originally posted by jmccauley View Post
      i am short 5'1, but very strong in the legs. i keep hearing the 600 katana is a heavy bike. im really atheletic and play basketball and soft ball. also, i will b riding with other ladies and they ride 600, dont want to b the last 2 get there!
      Julia, let's take a look at the misinformation implicit in your statement:
      There is little correlation between legal speeds (and any speed up to about 100 mph) and displacement over 200 cc's.
      A Ninja 250 will do 110 mph.
      A HD Sportster XL883: (882.66cc's, or 3.5 times more displacement) won't -- it tops out by 105.
      The bottom line is that you don't need massive displacement to keep up with a pack of typical riders, if you use the engine & gearing well, unless they are all super-sport riding speed freaks pushing well into triple-digit speeds.

The bottom line is that you need a solution that works with your inseam measurement without compromising the suspension excessively, allowing you (esp. as a new rider) to get both feet on the ground solidly at a stop. With a height of 5'1", unless you are all legs (literally), you will be limited on your choices of bikes that will work for you, even with lowering modifications to minimize the seat-to-ground height.
      Typical inseam for a 5'1" female is 26.5" - 27.5", and if you fall into that average, that means the Katana really isn't a suitable bike for you to start out on, even lowered (an inseam of 28.5" - 29" is probably the minimum for any form of safety on the Kat as a first ride, even lowered as far as it goes -- you have to remember that roads will arc away from you on one side for drainage, and you won't necessarily have a choice about which leg goes down in an emergency stop).

If you're not into cruisers (some of which are an obvious solution for shorter-legged riders because of their low seat-heights), you might want to do a bit of research on what lowering options there are for the bikes you are interested in, and how far they can modify various models of bikes safely...

Just trying to keep you safe, so you can grow to be an older biker with grace

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Last edited by The CyberPoet; 08-12-2009, 11:21 AM. Reason: Clarity
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Suzuki also makes a 500cc sporty looking bike, and then there is also the buell blast.

The most important thing I think is being able to flat foot and hold it up at a stop really. When your moving, the weight doesn't really mater much.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

When i got my 90 Kat 600 as my first sport bike, i always thought "it only a 600". I have had a few speed bursts on the freeway at triple digit speeds, but do not make a habit of riding that fast. ANY bike will go only as fast you open the throttle.
          Sit on a few bikes to make sure your feet can touch the ground and remember to factor in any potential stops on hills or inclines, such as a driveway from a parking lot to the street.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I'd say no matter what size you get. you'll get there the same time as your friends. I have a 96 katana 600 and my friend has an 07 Harley Davidson street glide 1584cc and I can keep up with him. Just get one you can enjoy, and remember it will take awhile to get used to no matter what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by jmccauley View Post
                Hi all,
                My name is julia and im new to the bike scene. I was looking to buy a 600 katana, can any one tell me if thats a great bike for women and beginners?

You might will consider the Ninja 250. Great starter bike and sport stylish. (That's what I did, then a 500 and now the Katana 600). I wouldn't recommend a 600 to start with...the one I bought was almost like new as the seller bought it for his wife, too much bike, dropped it at least once going down the driveway. That was enough to sell and not ride anymore...too bad. There's a huge difference of 2 cyl. vs. 4 and also the weight of the Katana vs the Ninja is significant. (Don't waste your time on a 500 either, start there or the 250 then go to a 600).
                LMT

Comment

I know a few guys that have Ninja 250, and they seem to like um.(it's just the thought of saying it's only a 250)

Comment

Welcome! The bike I learned how to ride on was a 250, which got boring kind of easily. I think if you're sure riding is for you and that you plan on doing it for a while it's best to skip the 250 or 500 bikes because you WILL get bored of it. I had my Katana lowered which made a huge huge difference and is something I would recommend unless you're taller than the norm. I'm about 5'5" and had it dropped around an inch and a half. I could almost touch flat footed and it made such a difference in driving. Some people will say it changes the handling, which more than likely is true, but just like most things, with time you will become accustomed to it. I recently had the pleasure of crashing my bike but when I pick up a new one lowering will be the first thing that is done to it, it will help you immensley. Now, as much as I loved the Katana I definitely have some gripes as well. It can be pretty frustrating trying to move around a bike that is triple or four times your size. Though, you will not find a more forgiving or comfortable bike with such a sporty appeal to it. In the end I was glad I bought it, but I also knew no different. If it was up to me I would've dove head first into a more sporty bike but try testing a few out and see what works for you. Hope this helps. Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                    X