X

Trouble getting recognized at traffic lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble getting recognized at traffic lights

I'm sure some of you can relate to this. On more than one occasion I have pulled up to a red light and have needed to turn left. I get in the left turn lane but when I'm the only one sitting at the red light, the sensors in the road don't recognize me. I usually wait a couple cycles before I end up just going straight, pulling a u-ey, then turning right onto my needed street. Its just a pain and takes more time than it should. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done to get recognized? I either do the above method or wait for a car to pull up behind me to be seen.

I have tried rocking my bike across the sensor pad, I've tried standing (feet on ground, not bike :P ) and sitting on my bike...I've even tried getting off the bike and jumping up and down. JK, but all my efforts have been in vain. Any suggestions on how I can get recognized will be much appreciated.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

I've managed to figure out on my commute where to stop for the 3 or 4 lights I hit in order to trigger the sensors. If you always take the same route it's trial and error, if it's a different light everytime it's just a matter of luck. They use sensors up here and you can usually see where it's been buried at the lights to I try to stop right on them.

Since it's around 6am when I start hitting the lights and traffic is very light, I normally stop, wait what would be one cycle or so then if it's clear go. Illegal? maybe but it's either that or get off the bike run over and hit the crosswalk button, or do the right turn then U turn which is illegal too.

Maybe someone here has had luck with those greenlight triggers (big magnets that go on the lower fairing) and can comment.
    Kyle

Comment

Most sensors these days are electromagnetic, and sense the metal in a car to trip the light. I've heard of people pushing down their center stands onto the pavement or at the edge of the sensor in the pavement. I've successfully used that method all of once out of several attempts.

Also, if you happen to have an old hard drive lying around, you can pull the magnet out of it and secure it to the bottom of your bike. There was a thread a couple weeks ago about that working pretty well.

I usually end up running the red when it's safe - Tennessee law allows it, as do most other states I *think*.
      Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

they make a thing that you stick under your bike that will trigger the sensor. i saw them on ebay.

Comment

I stop over the wire then push the centerstand down. That is usually enough to trigger the light. You could also put a decent sized magnet on the bottom of your bike. I have heard that an old harddrive magnet works well.

Comment

I stopped stopping. I just go man.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I used to wait for a while then go straight. Then a coulpe of cops told me just to go if it was safe. cops are not gonna write you a ticket in a situation like that.

Comment

If they don't trip for your Kat when you put the Kat directly over the cut-line in the ground, odds are they won't trip for the signal tripper (magnet) either. Not all areas use magnetic sensors (a lot of places use piezo-electric sensors, in which case the magnetics do nothing -- but braking hard at the very end of your braking, to force more down-force on the sensor does).

The signal trippers are primarily for bikes with aluminum frames where there simply isn't enough magnetic field to make a difference -- the Kat, with it's steel frame, has a pretty big magnetic disturbance field.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i wait and i just go if its safe.
                  "What curse? You just sucked for 86 years!"

Comment

I have a metal plate in my head.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      I have a metal plate in my head.
                      Quit bragging, or everyone will want one!

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        -- but braking hard at the very end of your braking, to force more down-force on the sensor does).

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Just watch the hard braking where OIL , WATER , ANTIFREEZE , and other garbage will accumulate ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: Trouble getting recognized at traffic lights

Originally posted by crazyaussie
                          ...I've even tried getting off the bike and jumping up and down. .
                          That would've been worth seeing

Comment

i want a cycle or two and then go...
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by smhholm
                              I used to wait for a while then go straight. Then a coulpe of cops told me just to go if it was safe. cops are not gonna write you a ticket in a situation like that.
                              well i can tell you from experience that some will try. i waited until it was starting it's 3rd cycle, while skipping mine each time before i decided to go. it was a 3 way intersection right in town and i was coming in from a less travelled direction. the other 2 get favored. it was 2am or so. a cop i did not see, saw me. he took all my papers and he was certainly intending to write me a ticket. i called bs. said no way i was paying it. i "insisted" that the law stated a motorbike could pass through a red if it is not recognized by the lights. no kidding....he called bs on me. i was a bit worried...was thinking i misunderstood the frenchman at the msf course (yes...i had to take it in french). it was a standoff. neither of us were 100% certain. he was 15 minutes in his car while i am leaning on my bike on the middle of main street...smoking a cig while people are going by gawking. i really dislike being in that situation. anyway, he finally comes back and hands me my papers...but no ticket. i basically said, "hey....sorry to burst your bubble and you couldn't write the ticket, but at least you learned something new". it was my revenge for making me spend 15 minutes as a freak show while people drive by and make wild guesses at what the guy on the crotch-rocket did.

but anyway...that was my experience with the situation. it still happens from time to time, and i just go through when i can. if there is traffic, it usually doesn't happen. although one time i was in the front and our turning lane missed a cycle. I just pulled up as far as i could and motioned the guy behind me to pull up. he triggered it.
                              i can get by without adding anything......and if a cop stops me again, no big deal. this time i am 100% certain i can do it and it kind of feels good to be able to go, "na na nana na...."
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X