Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air bags for bikes?

Guys

this is insane!!! check it out:

these are wild..but I wanna know how they know how to inflate since they dont seem to inpact inflated..which wouldnt do us much good then anyways.

Comment

My first guess was that maybe it had something like the cord you plug into a jet-ski, but I just went and read on the site and they say that it measures some kind of "envelope" and when there is a sudden change in that envelope, within 30milliseconds the gas canisters release, so I guess that means the if you're riding and all of a sudden your g-forces change, then it'd deploy.

Comment

i would be rather concerned about this thing trying to rip my helmet/head off in a slide(f.ex. in a lowside).
        Also the material would have to pretty heavy duty just to stand upto the abrasion.

I think the Snell helmet certification article mentioned that sliding/toppling accidents made up like 90%+ of all motorcycle accidents not high energy impacts... now i wish i remember which thread had a link to that

On these assumtions i'd consider it a pretty useless piece of kit, but i'll just reserve final judgement untill there's an actual product (and untill i actually bother to verify my facts heh)
        -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I've seen this before (a couple years back), and there are a couple manufacturers who have been working on this same concept (one of the major leathers & footwear manufacturers for example).

On a related note, Honda has said they will be introducing motorcycle-mounted airbags on some of their models in a five year horizon... The bag would deploy somewhere around the steering head, it would seem... I don't know a whole lot of details, but if Honda says it will be so, it is likely to be so -- they will be moving almost their whole fleet over to ABS-as-standard-equipment by 2008 or 2009, and have already started introducing ABS on many models for the '06 model year, including low-end models that you wouldn't expect.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Imagine if you forgot and got off the bike and it deployed! that would make you feel like a complete...anyway good idea, if it works properly.
            Katana 750 2002

Comment

At last the Michelin man has some competition. Seriously though thats pretty wild, It will probably be mandatory equipment in about 10 years or so and we'll all be saying, "remember when we used to ride in those unsafe leathers, boy we were living on the edge in those days"
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Doesn't Missy Elliot have that outfit in black?

Just wrap yourself in pillows like I do.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  they will be moving almost their whole fleet over to ABS-as-standard-equipment by 2008 or 2009, and have already started introducing ABS on many models for the '06 model year, including low-end models that you wouldn't expect.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Yeah, that's true, CBF500/600 already come with ABS around here
                  And others have it as an option (like the VFR800 and some of the cruisers i think)
                  Props to Honda for advancing MC evolution, but i think i'll keep my Kat for now hehe 8)
                  -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I saw a thing on the Discovery channel once that was aboput bikes and airbags. The ones on there came out of the dash and were HUGE! they kept the rider from flying over whatever they had hit. I almost think I'd rather take my chances.

Comment

Working...
                    X