Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

DIY Camera Mount (pics and video included)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Camera Mount (pics and video included)

Ever since I bought my Katana I've been trying to come up with a good method for mounting my camera. I couldn't get a mount that attaches to the tank, so I've been brainstorming a way to fabricate a mount. Well, I finally succeeded today.

Materials and Tools:

• 3/4" x 1/8" x 5 1/2" piece of steel stock from the hardware store

• Appropriate bolt for your camera, a lock washer, a nut, a 1" diameter washer, and a wingnut
    • Drill press
    • Hack saw
    • Some files or a small vertical belt sander
    • Hammer
    • Bench clamp capable of taking a beating

Step 1) Take your steel stock and cut a piece 5 1/2" long. Using the following diagram, mark where you will be bending the steel (red lines).

(Diagram not to scale)

Use your mirror to figure out the spacing of the mounting holes. I highly recommend drilling one of the holes slightly bigger to give yourself some wiggle room with fitment. Clamp your steel stock to the table of your drill press and drill a small pilot hole. Follow with drilling your final sized hole.

Step 2) Using your bench clamp, clamp the steel stock so that the lines you drew on the steel are even with the lip of the clamp. Use your hammer to bend the steel stock. The horizontal bend is fairly mild, while the angle of the diagonal bend is a bit over 90 degrees. I don't have a protractor, so this will be a bit of trial and error.

You'll probably want your bike nearby, as this will be very much a trial and error affair. Just keep fiddling with the angles until you have the base of the mount level.

Step 3) Once you have the base level, you can now drill the hole for your mounting bolt. Once that's taken care of, insert the mounting bolt and use the lock washer and nut to secure it. Thread the wingnut on upside down, followed by the second washer. Thread your camera onto the mounting bolt until its snug and pointing in the desired direction, then use the wingnut to snug the washer to the base of the camera.

Optional: You'll see in the photos that my mount has an extra hole with a bolt behind the mounting bolt for the camera. This mount was actually something I fabricated previously for another application. I went ahead and added the bolt in the hopes of adding a bit of extra mass at the end to help reduce vibrations. I don't think it works that much, but it does provide a convenient place to attach your camera's cord to so you don't lose your camera if something breaks.

Here are some photos and a video:

This video is pretty shaky, the result of the camera mount being mounting to the fairings and my camera being tall. I'm happy with the video quality, though, especially from a mount fabricated from junk laying around.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFww6LgOiIs"]YouTube - Camera Mount Test[/ame]

Please excuse my man-**** in the rear-facing shots.

Hmmm... I figured this would be more popular. :-p

Comment

Bad timing. Everyone is frothing over the rally stuff right now. Looks very cool and doable though.

Comment

What no wheelies? Amateur. J/k. Thats a good place to mount. I have a dark tint windscreen so I can't do the tank mount. This might do nicely. Thanks!!!!

Comment

Here is a second test, in two parts:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9tVbf4lbKE"]YouTube - Katana 600 Camera Mount Test 2 (part 1)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLhQY1-CJlU"]YouTube - Katana 600 Camera Mount Test 2 (part 2)[/ame]

Comment

looks cool, btw wats the song/band in the first vid?

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat60009 View Post
              looks cool, btw wats the song/band in the first vid?
              White Knuckles by Five Finger Death Punch

Comment

Working...
              X