X

Dropped bike now problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped bike now problems

The kat fell over today, no damage just easily fell over, but now she want idle right and sounds like she is missing. Shows up more at idle and off idle, the higher the rpm the better. But backfires a little when revd up. No problems before. Thanks for the help

How long have you run the bike since it fell over? Even after say a few miles of riding it still does it? Certainly falling over upset the fuel in the tank and carburetors and you may have gotten some trash from the bottom of the tank or even the bottom of the carb bowls up into one of the jets. Try putting some Techron or STP fuel system cleaner into the tank and see if it helps. You only need 1/3 bottle to a FULL tank. That is what I would do anyway.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

+1
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I plan on riding it to work in the AM, so we will see. Will stopand fill up fresh gas and add some techron.

Comment

ride it more if it doesnt get better put some seafome

Comment

Well rode to work this AM ran rough but when I shut it down went to start back up to check it. Only 1000 rpms a WOT. what the heck??

Comment

I still think you've got some trash sucked up into your carbs, and it hasn't worked it's way out yet. The bike is not getting enough fuel for some reason. Things like this is hard to try to figure out without being there to look it over. Once it has sat for a while, check on it and see what it's doing.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Is it flooded out? Check and smell the oil, maybe you have a float that stuck.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Ok after it sits a while 45min or longer it starts runs rough but will rev up. Still has the back smoke. I agree that it might be stuck float. where is the best place to get rebuild kits for the carbs.

Comment

You won't need to rebuild it most likely. Take them apart and inspect and clean the whole body. You will probably find the gunk and can just clean off the needle and seat. Read the carbs 101 for details. I just got done rebuilding mine with all new o-rings.

Comment

kevin would it be good idea to replace orings and floats at same time

Comment

If you are getting black smoke, it is definately getting too much fuel. You want to get that fixed before you end up with gas in your oil. Depending on what year your bike is you can read over Carbs 101 (pre-98's) or Carbs 102 (post 98) and just go through them with a can of carb cleaner and fix this issue. You shouldn't need to replace any parts when you do this. If you don't make any adjustments to anything when you take them out and leave the 4 together as a unit, it would just be pull them out, take them apart, clean them, put them back together and remount. That's it.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Originally posted by emcpowell View Post
                          kevin would it be good idea to replace orings and floats at same time

The only reason to replace a float is if it is damaged or test to see if it "floats". My bike is a 1990 so the orings were old and needed replaced. I don't know what year of bike you have but if it was running fine before you probably just need a good cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                          X