X

the SCOPE of the Ethanol Problem - and Stabil Marine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the SCOPE of the Ethanol Problem - and Stabil Marine

OK, as many of you know, I've taken to using Stabil Marine fuel-stabilizer in my gas tanks to prevent the fuel-separation issue, the water-absorption issue and in-tank rust. Stuff works well (better than standard stabil for our uses because it's engineered for non-sealed tanks), but there's always the hassle of hauling the fluid to the gas station (comes in something like a 12 ounce container, I only need about 1/2 ounce per five gallons)... esp. on the ZX-14 with absolutely zero under-seat storage to speak of...

So I was discussing the hassle of it with the other half, when she suggested that I try using a travel-sized 1.5-ounce scope bottle to carry around just what I need... A bit of rinsing the bottle, some drying, and poof: we now have a fuel-stabilizer bottle that will hold enough to do three gas tank fill-ups... Just had to remember to put some big "X" marks on the bottle & lid with a permanent marker so it could never be confused for the stabil marine (the color is similar in low-light situations).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Is the Marine Stabil really different from the regular red stuff though?

I like the idea of the scope bottle, but I only use it at the end of the season... so it's no big deal for me just to take the bottle along when I go to top off.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Good tip.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Is the Marine Stabil really different from the regular red stuff though?

I like the idea of the scope bottle, but I only use it at the end of the season... so it's no big deal for me just to take the bottle along when I go to top off.
        The MSDS information, and the marketing on the product is making my mind boggle.

If both formulas are 95% Naptha, and 5% "proprietary ingredients" then how can the marine formula have 4x's the fuel cleaner and double the corrosion protection
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have been using seafoam
          Bling....

Comment

The actual MSDS sheet that I've seen for the marine Sta-bil imply that the info you linked may be wrong... The data I found shows an 80% dearomated kerosine content [CAS 64742-47-8] and a 20% additive package on the stabil marine.
            see

I suspect the additive package includes nutmeg oil actually (something I read somewhere) as a barrier compound to keep the surface separation from the water content in the air...

EDIT: I also found info that they changed their marine formulation on or around the start of August '08 to specifically deal with the ethanol content issue, so the MSDS info you had found may be outdated...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Seafoam for me. My grandfather had used it forever and never had a fuel system related problem with anything. I use it in the tank, and right before oil changes in every engine I have. I swear by the stuff. (the scope bottle thing would still probably work)
              Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

The marine formula may also address the issue of may boats that have fiberglass tanks. This is a huge issue. I do not have a boat, but the vintage cafe tank (fiberglass) on my RD became a victim of this BS fuel.

Comment

man how long is the tank of fuel in your guys tank to use that all the time?

at most i have one tank of gas in the bike every 2 weeks, but it is more like 2 or 3 tanks on a weekend and 1 during the week.

i understand some are in higher than normal humidity locations and high temps, but i don't see it needed if the tank of gas will be around for a short time frame. so what is your time frame of adding it? or using it all the time?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I run through a tank every 2-3 days during the week and usually 1 or 2 tanks on the weekends. I usually add Seafoam every 5th tank or so. It takes care of more than water.
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                      man how long is the tank of fuel in your guys tank to use that all the time?
                      It used to never be an issue on the Kat that got stolen...
                      But a host of factors are playing into the ZX potentially seeing the fuel sit longer than desirable (5.8 gal tank, 1/3 better fuel mileage, and far less likely for me to ride out during a rainstorm than the kat). And my habit of topping off regularly (how old is the oldest fuel in that tank that's mixed in?).
                      Now throw in super-humidity in the summer's monsoon season and my desire to keep ALL water out of the fuel system, and I'm willing to pay the 6 cents a gallon the marine additive costs in the long run as a hedge against problems.

Will I bother using on the road trip to/from the rally and while I'm there? Nah... Might use some techron at some point on the road....
                      But I'll definitely add the Stabil to the last tank before I park it back up here, just in case...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X