X

Need a good and CHEAP jet kit ASAP!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good and CHEAP jet kit ASAP!!!

Can anyone hook me up with a jet kit, or point me in the right direction???

I think I'll need a stage 3 jet kit, as the bike currently has de-baffled (in fact, drilled) mufflers and pod filters. Will add a full Vance & Hines system later, but maybe, if I get a good and cheap jet kit, I'll replace the stock cans with some car chromed mufflers that look like motorcycle mufflers (would look almost identical to the stock cans, but they are just resonators, free flow baby!).

At the end I'll need the Stage 3 jet kit, maybe by now something else could do, but don't want to buy a jet kit now to replace it within a couple of months.

Can anyone hook me up with a good deal??? The only jet kit I've seen is the dinojet kit, and that is $100, almost the same as having the bike re-jetted by a shop (but I dont' think they will mess with the needles, just jets)

I really need to get a relatively inexpensive kit, as I'm on a really tight budget (I earn about $800 a month) and between tires, riding boots and the entry fee for the trackday my really tight budget is getting even tighter
    Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

i would take it to a shop for a stage three. it's very difficult to get all three circuits running well without a dyno & sniffer.

i didn't think anyone sold kits for a stage three kit anymore ?

tim

Comment

Dinojet does. And it is nothing more than bigger jets and needles.

I need somethign quick!!! I don't want to blow the engine on the track, someone help me please!!!

Comment

Well if you found the kits , what do you need from us now ? Can you just get some bigger jets ? That's the obviously easier and cheaper route ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I can't afford the $100 kit, I want someone to point me to a cheaper alternative, or maybe someone has a used jet kit???

Heck, even when you buy a jetkit it comes with several jets, maybe some of those jets may help me! (I would be extremely happy for a set of 135 mains)

Comment

Well , you can get mains for fairly cheap LOTS of places . I got a bunch from Special K , our resident parts guy . Biggest I got are 130's . Someone else posted that they saw them for $12 a set somewhere (Sweetlou posted it) , like Denniskirk or something ....
            <edit> here , see if this helps ....

Comment

(A) K&N used to market DynoJet kits under the K&N label. You can often find the K&N inventory on eBay at very cheap prices. The stage 1 and stage 3 kits are the same kit with different installation instructions depending on which configuration you use.

(B) Sometimes you can just get away with ordering individual parts, depending on where the mixture is bad. Sudco.com carries individual parts for various carbs (possibly including the emulsion tubes MD86 is looking for), as does FactoryPro (if you call and talk to Marc).

(C) If reliability is critical to you, you would probably be better off getting a stock can and airbox rather than throwing money at trying to get the carbs right to match a bad set-up. A lot of people around here tend to list the OEM cans cheaply when they replace theirs with aftermarket cans.

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The jets can be had for cheap, like $12 US for 4 of them. What the jet kit is including is adjustable needles and clips, and different springs.

If you have trouble getting the jets, i can get them for you and ship them for you. (They are really small). And maybe keith (Special K) would have some needles and clips laying around the shop that he would let go for cheap. As for spirngs, you could cut a few links out of your springs to get somewhat of the same effect.

Let me know about the jets, and we'll figure out what size you need to run with what you got.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou, I think I may have to take your offer, I have been unable to find a store that will ship to Mexico, and, here each jet goes for $15!!!

Basically the bike now has the pod filters and in the future will have a V&H full system, so it will need something around 125-130 mains. For the needles I think I'll use some plastic spacers to raise them a little bit, but I do need the jets.

As for the pilot jets, weel, Dinojet does not include any pilot jets, they just tell you to remove the aluminum covers from the mixture screws and to adjust them.

Springs, I won't touch those! If you cut them they are never the same again, too much chance to screw it up, and here...

If jets go for $15 each, springs, needles or any other internal part of the carb is HARD to get, and almost as expensive as a new set of carbs. Thats another downside of a country that lacks entirely a motorcycle culture.

For the record, I'm not as dumb as to drill the stock cans, that was a cheap and stupid attempt of the previous owner to get the bike to sound as if it had a slip on or something like that.

Comment

Well , you'll still be using the stock pilot jets (32.5's) , but you'll need to change the mixture screws (that's the thing you drill out) .

Comment

Dynojet kit says to only "adjust" the mixture screws, not to replace them. Their kit does not even include them ¿?

I think my bike is running lean in all the RPM band, I have a little trouble to get it to start, specially if warm. For example, in traffic, if I stop (a stoplight) it will run like crap so I have to give her a lot of throttle. Also, it bogs down at 3-6k rpms if I don't give her full throttle, and will bog down at lower RPMs if I give her too much throttle.

Id love to have an FI bike, this carburetor woes aren't for me.

Comment

Well, I posted at the mechanics section a more detailed explanation of how the bike runs.

Also...

Hmm, don't know what I was going to ask... forgot it.

Ah, I remember. I'm going to check tomorrow with a shop that was recommended to see how much they will charge to re-jet the bike. Maybe they have the jets and will end up being cheaper than doing it myself, but I highly doubt it...

But well, it may be worth a shot.

Comment

It is very easy to change the jets. And doesn't take long at all. The hardest part is drilling out the mixture screws, but if you take your time, then it won't be to bad. I can get the jets in about a day if I order them, but then I have to pay shipping, or I can ride or drive up to Dennis Kirk (its only about 45 minutes away) and pick them up. If I go to Dennis Kirk, I can check to see what size jets they are using in there stage 1, and look to see what size jets they use in stage 3 for the earlier model gixxers (thats what I did when I got my jets, found out what the other ones were using by opening up the kits). One thing the kits include though is the drill bit and the screw to remove the caps, but a hardware store would have those as well.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Oh, and to adjust your mixture screws, you would screw them out anywhere between a half turn to a full turn. I think we have mine set at 3 turns out, and factory they were just slightly over 2 turns out.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well , from all I've read about your bike , you need some jets at LEAST 10-15 points larger thanwhat you got now , shim or replace the needles , and turn the pilot screws out around 1 full turn . THAT'S whay your bike runs so crappy ! Yeah , you don't "replace" the mixture screws , you "adjust" them , my bad . But if you have to turn the screws out much more then 3 turns , THEN you'll wanna think about replaceing the pilot jets . But I haven't heard of anyone else evr having to do that here .

Comment

Working...
                              X