Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What to look for when buying a used Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for when buying a used Katana?

I am going to check out a 2000 Kat 600 tomorrow and I was wondering if there are any specific things that I should look(look out) for. This will be my first bike and I would really appreciate the help.
    - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

-----------------------------------------------------

Mileage and the corresponding service history. Basically make sure the things that were suppose to be done were. Valve adjustments, brake fluid changes, oil changes. Cleaning and lubing of the chain, sprocket replacement and so on.

A 2000 "should" have had new brake lines installed last year, Brake fluid changed yearly, or every 2 years by the manual. Fork oil is every 2 years also ( I think).

Check the tires, if it's a low mile bike the rubber may be the original ones from the factory. I'd swap them for new ones. Check the chain for rust, if the bikes been sitting you may need a new chain. Ditto for carbs, if she's been sitting or not taken care of the carbs may need a good cleaning.

any idea of the mileage on the bikes?
    Kyle

Comment

It has 5,400 Miles on it. And yeah, the guy did say that they were still the original Tires.
      - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkendance
        It has 5,400 Miles on it.
        That is just wrong. That's abuse IMHO . My 03 has 27,000 miles on it .

Find out if it's been ridden yearly and properly winterized.

Even though the miles are low I'd seriously look at new tires, brake lines, brake fluid, fork oil, fork seals(?) and of course an oil and filter change. Others can chime in on other things to do also.

BTW all of the above can be done by your self with a few tool and a service manual.

You'll also be due for a valve check/adjustment in 1500 miles, BUY the service manual!!!! the first time you do the valve adjustement it'll pay for it self many times over.
        Kyle

Comment

Here's something else that happens to be my hobby horse...changes and mods. I say steer clear of mods unless you are 110% absolutely-danged certain they were done per spec. I've had nothin' but grieve from half-arsed completed mods, going back thru and fixin' whats been half done by incompetent mechanics.
          My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
            . I've had nothin' but grieve from half-arsed completed mods, going back thru and fixin' whats been half done by incompetent mechanics.

Been there doing that,right now.
            Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

CyberPoet's Used Bike Checklist:

Used Bike Checklist, at MotorcycleAnchor.com -- check our specials on ear plugs for all riders, and oil temp gauges for 98+ GSXF/Katana's!

Specifically, what goes wrong on 98+ Kats & what to look for:
              - Any place where the frame paint is chipped, cracked, etc. indicates a hard crash.
              - notchiness in the steering indicates wheelies or a hard wreck.
              - oil on the fork legs after compressing & releasing indicates bad fork oil seals
              - dark brown brake fluid indicates a lack of maintenance
              - rev it up and the idle drops to 2k then slowly drops the rest of the way indicates the bike hasn't been ridden (dirty carbs; easy to solve)
              - any dings or dents in the exhaust headers indicates a very nasty wreck
              - problems with 2nd gear acting differently than any of the other gear indicates the dreaded tranny abuse problem; if found, skip this bike, as the repair is very expensive and usually solved by swapping engine + tranny (as it's cheaper than a full tear-down).
              - oil leaks around the cylinder head seals indicates that it was overheated at least once.

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

take a few friends with you the more eyes looking at the bike the better

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys! Unfortunately something's come up here at work and it looks like I am not going to be able to check it out today. I'll have to wait for at least another week to check it out. Work sucks!
                  - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

Working...
                  X