X

laws and questions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laws and questions?

ok im cleaning up the kat for my wife to ride i dont have turn signals right now so i was thinking of buying the clears with amber bulbs. and changing the tail out to a newer tail that has the light like the busa's do,, except the clear intagrated brake and turns? how illeagle is this will i get stopped everytime i pass a cop??
    shiny side up, at least when I'm not doing a barrel roll

If you have signals , they must work . If they work , you are legal . If you have no signlas , you must use hand signals , which IS legal , though most no longer understand what they mean .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
      If you have signals , they must work . If they work , you are legal . If you have no signlas , you must use hand signals , which IS legal , though most no longer understand what they mean .

Even some of the cops don't know what they mean. I got stopped the other day after making a right turn. The cop apparently thought I was waving at him rather than signaling my turn.
      92 1100 Kat

Comment

If a cop doesn't know the hand signals, that is really bad
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

Do a search for Texas DMV inspection and equiptment laws... you can find them pretty easily, and will cover everything you need to know for your state.

These laws vary pretty significantly state to state.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

US DOT standard calls for the blinkers to be a minimum of 10 or 12" apart and 4" off the brake light, or some such on bikes. Most states have laws that require DOT compliance. As Kreylyn noted, check your local statutes for requirements.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thats what i needed to know thanks guys i was told that if i put the clears on it it would be illeagle. doesnt look that way to me
              shiny side up, at least when I'm not doing a barrel roll

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanmaples View Post
                thats what i needed to know thanks guys i was told that if i put the clears on it it would be illeagle. doesnt look that way to me
                so long as you are using amber bulbs the clear lens is fine.
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Ive been stopped for things like this on cars (My 27 didnt even have brake lights, so I had to use hand signals, oddly enough 99% of people dont know hand signals, expecially the one for braking).... what they normally do it give you a "fix-it" ticket... meaning they give you 48 hours to correct the problem, get it veified by and officer and you wont have to pay a ticket. It most has to do with three things 1) Cops mood 2) Your attitude 3)Your driving record
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                    so long as you are using amber bulbs the clear lens is fine.
                    Right.

Many of OEM models are now going with clear signals with amber bulbs, which means they are DOT approved.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post

Hit the nail on the head with this one
                      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                      Current Bikes:
                      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

well if you were chuck noris laws wouldnt apply to you .....but since you are not just order some off of ebay

Comment

Something to be aware of. When considering the undertail mods and intergrated taillight and turn sigs there are some cities that will ticket for these. We have seen a lot of this in Overland Park, Lexna and Leawood area of Kansas. The LEO's are ticketing due to the bike not having the stock taillight with the DOT approved reflectors and they are not allowing for any aftermarket rear facing reflectors. The judges are upholding these tickets as well so no one is getting off. Just something to think about.
                          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Some states require a minimum size for turn signals also. WA requires something like 3 sq inches each and spaced a minimum of 9" apart, with no minimum distance from the tail/brake light. OR just says must have turn signals visable from both the front and rear. ANother funny little note on WA's required equipment would be that almost every motorcycle sold in the state brand new has been illegal. WA law states the rear fender must hang down behind the rear tire at least to the centerline of the rear axle. Most bikes rear fenders don't come down nearly that far.
                            Last edited by Psycho1; 07-06-2009, 10:28 AM.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X