Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New things I learned about the Kat today.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New things I learned about the Kat today.

Just went through a ~2 mile parade in the Kat. New and interesting things I learned:

1. Oil isn't the most efficient cooling medium.
    2. Instead of going in and out of first gear because your hand is cramping up on the clutch, walk it.
    3. Idle revving for the kids is fun, but it will make copious amounts of heat over time. See #1.
    4. Because of #1, without a oil temp gauge the oil cooler will start smoking.
    5. Just when #4 starts to happen, the clutch is going to slip like CRAZY.

Moral of the story, if you want to take the Kat through a long parade, trailer it. Also order oil gauge and sender from CP.

If you were walking the bike sometimes anyway, couldn't you have shut it off and let it cool down for a few minutes?

That's cool you were in a parade, though. I'm jealous
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
      If you were walking the bike sometimes anyway, couldn't you have shut it off and let it cool down for a few minutes?

That's cool you were in a parade, though. I'm jealous
      I did, but only after the oil got hot enough to cause the clutch to slip all over the place. I couldn't hold it in first without revving the hell out of it, otherwise I'd stall.

The silver lining to this is one of the guys ahead of us had a nice Aprilia, he made it less than 1/4 the way before his coolant temp hit 250 and he left it on the side of the road to ride 2up with someone else.

Comment

usually the hottest time for a bike or a car is when you stop and turn it off.

wire up small fans with a thermostat so when you turn the bike off but key still on the fan can still run.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
          usually the hottest time for a bike or a car is when you stop and turn it off.
          +1

when the oil stops flowing the oil stops cooling. engine heat will spike.
          best way to cool it down is get out of traffic and open it up a bit.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

do like the shriners here do... they atleast put on a show than just a slow cruise through. that way their bikes cool.

i remember i had some heat issues with my kat a couple times. I solved the problem by not commuting and just pure joy riding back country road carving. no more interstate on the way to work.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I HAVE an oil temp gauge . It usually gets close to 200*F . But after shutting it off for even say 10 minutes at a gas stop or something , the temp drops VERY quickly . 10 minutes it may go down 10* . 30 Minutes shows nearly 25* drop . Food for thought ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                I HAVE an oil temp gauge . It usually gets close to 200*F . But after shutting it off for even say 10 minutes at a gas stop or something , the temp drops VERY quickly . 10 minutes it may go down 10* . 30 Minutes shows nearly 25* drop . Food for thought ....
                Interesting. During the route I didn't have 10 minutes to rest the bike, but that's good to know in the future. I've still got a quote coming from CP for the oil temp gauge and sender, I don't want to be caught like this again.

Comment

Quote is sitting in your PM Box.

Parade duty? Walk it (literally). The Kat is not a parade bike, and if you're going to use in that sense, Mobil 1 20w50 plus the fans squiggy installed are the ticket... I think his fan solution is wired to his neutral sensor (to come on automatically in neutral), plus to an over-ride switch (to turn them on, on demand).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    But after shutting it off for even say 10 minutes at a gas stop or something , the temp drops VERY quickly . 10 minutes it may go down 10* . 30 Minutes shows nearly 25* drop
                    I can second that comment. I'm surprise how quickly the oil temp drops just from even 5 minutes off.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    plus the fans squiggy installed are the ticket... I think his fan solution is wired to his neutral sensor (to come on automatically in neutral), plus to an over-ride switch (to turn them on, on demand).
                    Yes on both. Even though traveling a idle speed the fans may drain the battery like it did with my 1/2 hour test that I posted in my thread.

That reminds me, I need to post an over the winter observation with these fans.
                    Last edited by squiggy; 07-05-2009, 12:08 AM.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Quote is sitting in your PM Box.

Parade duty? Walk it (literally). The Kat is not a parade bike, and if you're going to use in that sense, Mobil 1 20w50 plus the fans squiggy installed are the ticket... I think his fan solution is wired to his neutral sensor (to come on automatically in neutral), plus to an over-ride switch (to turn them on, on demand).

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      interesting never thought to install an electric fan to the neuteral sensor ...great idea CP!
                      Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                        interesting never thought to install an electric fan to the neuteral sensor ...great idea CP!
                        squiggy's idea -- I can claim zero credit

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

squiggy's idea -- I can claim zero credit

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          so be it! great idea just the same thanks for passin it on!
                          Joker
                          The newest addition to the Family!
                          sigpic
                          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I think if this were to happen again I'll just take off the front fairings and bungee a box fan to the front forks. This should help my airflow problem a bit.

Comment

Fan on demand... I'm planning to put one. One question... when a car starts, all voltage is coming out from the alternator, therefore, does not drain your battery. How about Kat? Hmmm just a thought.
                              KATitoy

Comment

Working...
                              X