X

Over confident or comfy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over confident or comfy?

So baseball season is at full throttle, and with me coaching, I hardly have time for anything but work, baseball and sleep. So I haven't been on here in awhile. I'm still commuting with the Kat and I noticed something today..

Normally I have JUST enough time to get home from work on the bike, change and go to practice. Left a bit early today and decided to detour down one of my back roads going home.

It's got a long sweeper, speed limit 55. Today, just loafing along, traffic opened up, and when I was exiting the turn I realized I was going @75mph..oops..

Then right near my house there is a hard sweeper, speed limit 40mph that I usually hit at 45ish...today, nobody in front of me....exited the turn at 65mph....and it didn't "feel" fast.....

I'm getting deeper and deeper on my lean angles without trying. And I'm having to actually make an effort to shift my body, so I don't drag a knee.

Is this normal now that I'm riding everyday again....it's been almost 3 years with the Kat. And even with all the downtime working on it, and just commuting mainly, I've put on almost 20K..............

Not alot to many of you, but when your commute is 16 miles each way, and I rarely get to "just ride" unless it's Fall.......that's adding up I think.......

I think your getting a little more skilled and more comfortable...

New riders go 35 and it's feels "fast"....

I ride and see a sign that gives the "speed to take" the curve at in a car, and auto double it for my crusing speed around, unless that exceeds the speedlimit... ...

There are alot of areas here with roads where the speed limit is 45, but has curves with signs for "20 mph"... I dont' ussually slow down much for those at all.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Dont be afraid to ride the bike. Just make sure your posture is good when you are hanging over the side. Remember the Kat turns in easy and is really top heavy so careful on your angles. make sure your tires are aired correctly and have plenty of tread. It is natural to push the bike harder as time goes on.

Pick a good line and molest that apex~!

Comment

Sign says 35 mph, speed limit says 55, I call it a challenge. Newbies, go 25!

Avoid the gravel this time there though ehh?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

For most riders, smoothness is the key to going fast -- and that smoothness comes from relaxing and "knowing" what the bike will do for you (I never understood guys who swapped bikes every year because they never got to know their bikes at the same subconscious muscle-memory level).

Sounds like you've hit "smooth-operator" status

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            For most riders, smoothness is the key to going fast -- and that smoothness comes from relaxing and "knowing" what the bike will do for you (I never understood guys who swapped bikes every year because they never got to know their bikes at the same subconscious muscle-memory level).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
              x2....I have been making a very conscious effort to become a better rider than before just because I like to always get better no matter what it is really...I've been reading professional books (i.e. A Twist of the Wrist), watching various videos, etc.... and applying what I learn by putting lots of miles on the bike practicing to become better with driving, hard/panic braking, cornering, etc...
              I took a 4 year break from bikes after an accident (someone pulled out in front of us on the highway), and now can tell you with less than 3 mos on the new Katana, I am a better rider no doubt....very comfy on the Kat- but I also know my limits and don't exceed them...I tend to double the recommended speed limit on twisties (kinda happens without me noticing too much but occasionally I will look at the speedometer)...I find the Kat is a very smooth, comfortable machine at low or high speeds-once you get it down...of course all this as safe as you can be on roads with virtually no traffic or obstructions-prepared and aware of surroundings and being ready for unexpected stuff....
              I really wish there was a track locally though-because even though I have a lot of fun on the street' you still can't reach the limits of what you can on the track....I would like to take the advanced course and get even better still, then go and tear up a track...
              Last edited by jettajake00; 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM.
              vwvortex.com : jettajake00
              midmoriders.com :jettajake00
              Go Cardinals!

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

I ride and see a sign that gives the "speed to take" the curve at in a car, and auto double it for my crusing speed a
                Be careful with that. I've discovered that in Virginia, you're okay with doubling it. In West Virginia, on some of the back roads, 25 MEANS 25.

Me hitting a posted 25 turn at about 45 in West Virginia: "Crap, crap, crap, crap, lean, lean, lean, lean......... Gahhhhhh..."

Comment

Originally posted by the_wanderer View Post
                  Be careful with that. I've discovered that in Virginia, you're okay with doubling it. In West Virginia, on some of the back roads, 25 MEANS 25.

Me hitting a posted 25 turn at about 45 in West Virginia: "Crap, crap, crap, crap, lean, lean, lean, lean......... Gahhhhhh..."
                  There's some roads in Nor Cal and OR that are the same way. I know which roads locally I can double the recommended speeds on, but I also know a few roads that catch a lot of people off guard when a 15 or 20mph signed curve is a peg dragger at those speeds.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

I feel that way too, a few days ago i went for a cruise and opened it up on the highway up to 160km when before i used to be petrified to go above 120
                    1999 Katana 750

Comment

For those who don't know..

I started riding on the street at 17....it was a 86 GSXR 750 I bought from my brother. Not recommended as first bike BTW....but I put 60K+ on that old beast before it finally died....or was killed technically. Rode several different sport bikes after that pretty much everyday until I went in the Army. Rode when I could then. Rode every now and again (Friend's bikes) until early 2007. Bought a GS500E for a steal on CL. Rode it, bought my current Kat...and started spinning wrenches and riding.

But yeah, I guess I'm just finding my groove again after all these years.

On another note, I rode a CBR1K (2006?07?) the other day. Torture rack for me (6ft 3, 230lbs). It was definitely fast though. The rider, a co-worker, rode my Kat 600 (with my mods and the 01 750 engine) and when I tried to swap back he said "Don't you want to ride the 1K some more?"

Turns out, in his words "That old Kat feels like an easy chair that will run. God it's comfy. And it handles alot better than I thought it would. It's smooth too."

Can't wait for Fall so I can get some more stuff to the Kat done and get the spare fairings / body work I have finally finished prepped and painted.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet

+100000

Never understood it, either.
                        sigpic

Comment

There are a couple of on/off ramps near me that are posted 40km/h. I take them now at between 80 and 100km/h. It's soooooo much fun
                          2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                          Black
                          Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                          Red
                          Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

idk if its just me or not but i never pay any attention to the suggested speed signs. or for that matter even the speed limit signs ... i just ride at a comfortable pace, and if i see that i am passing cars a lot i slow down a little( probably comes from the fact that my first bike that i had for 2 years didn't have a working speedo) but regaurdless when i see a tight corner i always speed up and lean into it
                            Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

The only problem that sometimes arises with "Smooth Operation" is when you have a glaring moment of clarity and realize just how fast and low you are leaning and then suddenly tense up. I’ve done it plenty of times I just get in a great grove and I’ll be so loose that it all comes almost naturally then I’ll think for a second and have an “oh crap” moment lol. There are probably some pretty deep indentations in my grips from those moments
                              "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

Working...
                              X