No announcement yet.
X

Just bought first Katana, Need Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought first Katana, Need Help!!!

Hey guys,

Names Curt.

I just bought my first bike, a 1996 katana 600. the bike has about 23000 miles and has been beat around a bit. Bike starts and runs fine though it looks lilke crap. Some of the faring is slit were the mirrors mount and alot of the bolts that hold the faring on are missing. The guy I bought the bike from told me that it just had the carbs cleaned and it has a jet kit installed. It has a vance hynes exhaust. Bike runs like a bat out of hell.

What i'm wanting to do is paint the whole bike flat black and upgrade the head light to someting newer looking.

Also wanted to wrap exhaust in header wrap from block back to muffler.

Any help is greatly needed.

Thanks Guys!!

So what part do you need help with? Sounds like you've already got a plan.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Welcome to KR
        THE DOC
        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.
        sigpic

Comment

welcome to kr

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          So what part do you need help with? Sounds like you've already got a plan.
          +1
          sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
          k9 GSX-R 600
          GO VOLS!

Comment

Damn!!! Who just did their light in dual retro???? Welcome to KR.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome to the Forum
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome. If your Kat idles steady, rev's smooth, shifts well and does vib your hands numb, I think you're in pretty good shape mechanically.

I always recommend inspecting, servicing and/or replacing every wear n' tear item on the bike before getting too deep in the season. Act like your life depends on them... 'cause it does.

Someone did a Yam side-by-side light set up... looked sweet. Search and ye shall find.
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Hey Curt, welcome to KatRiders
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Don't wrap the headers, moisture in the wraps make them look like a mummy shortly. They stilll look like mummy, but very little structure underneath.

welcome, btw!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

welcome to kr kurt

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                          Don't wrap the headers, moisture in the wraps make them look like a mummy shortly. They stilll look like mummy, but very little structure underneath.
                          +1

It's an air-oil cooled bike -- the heat shedding off the headers is good for the heat dissipation. Wrapping the pipes with fiberglass simply holds in sand/clay, which in turn sands the surface AND holds moisture against the mild steel. If you want to get a barrier effect for some reason, talk to your local powdercoater about either ceramic coatings or exhaust powdercoat, both of which won't weaken it over time but will give you the same benefits.

I like a man with a plan

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Guys

Wow. Been on several sites and never had a reply from members like this one. Didn't think of the header wrap as a way to make the bike not rid itself of heat!!! So,,,, Thanks again. If anyone knows who did the headlight mod, Give me a buzz.

Thanks, Curt.

Didn't even cross my mind about the heat not being able to escape, LOl, I was after looks!! Great point. Thanks!
                            Last edited by Curt-P; 07-01-2009, 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome to KR! Ride safe
                              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                              X