Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

how bad is it to ride a katana with bad compression in 1 cylinder?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how bad is it to ride a katana with bad compression in 1 cylinder?

one of my cylinders has hellaciously low compression. will riding the bike until I get it fixed cause any serious issues?

thanks in advance

D.

www.fightersalley.com

It's gonna run rough and scorch the oil. I wouldn't ride unless you absolutely have to.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

How low is it? Last year I had cylinder 4 compression that was about 70ish and my bike wouldn't run any better than 5K. Make sure the test is being administered correctly before you do anything. If it was bad I think it wouldn't run right anyway. I don't quite remember the numbers and my manual is at my brothers house. My bike had a taper in the cylinders and worn rings and it wasn't that hard to replace. Cost me like 300 bucks in parts thanks to arsenic. I am not that mechanically inclined and I had no problem doing the work. Good luck with the bike.
      Last edited by parkze; 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fightersalley View Post
        one of my cylinders has hellaciously low compression. will riding the bike until I get it fixed cause any serious issues?

If the low compression came from sitting for too long, it's possible that riding it will cause the compression to come back up.

It's happened before, I've seen it.

Comment

Working...
        X