weeeeeeeee!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weeeeeeeee!

my first real crash today! yeah!

the details were basically a 30-40mph lowside into the grass on a pretty sharp turn on 1566 W coming out of Wolfe City, TX.

A) i took the turn too hot
    B) i did not lean enough to get out of the turn (i did not have knee sliders)
    C) my gearing was too high for the speed I was at. (i was twisting the throttle pretty hard trying to turn the corner, but was getting next to no response)

however, the fall was a classic lowside, bike went way in front of me, i turned over a few times in some pretty plushy grass, scraped my elbow slightly, my knee is a little sore.. everyone says I will be very sore tommorow morning.

the bike runs fine, but can't turn left with the handlebar effed up. i need to replace...

left footpeg
    shifter lever
    right brake lever
    right turn signal
    definitely the left handlebar, possibly more - needs more analysis
    plastic

and my frame sliders. my frame sliders are from ontariokatana. They certainly mitigated alot of the damage. The exhaust saver worked the best by far. One side snapped off completely, the other side, the clamp bent out of shape (worked great!)

i have no idea why my windshield is all in bits, and why there is a small dent on top of my tank (hard to notice from the pictures I took). I fell on my right side, I figure at the end of the lowside my bike decided to switch sides.

As far as my damage goes, I got off pretty light! Right now my knee is sore, and they tell me I'm going to be very sore everywhere in the morning.

Last edited by kharma; 06-28-2009, 11:56 PM.
    joey b.

glad your allrite bud

Comment

Both you & the bike pretty unscathed! Very lucky! Glad to see it isn't worse! Go buy a lottery ticket!!! Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

glad you made it out ok!
        sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
        k9 GSX-R 600
        GO VOLS!

Comment

I did the same thing about 2 years ago taking a turn and hit an oily point in the road and slide right out into traffic. Good thing you're ok man. Bike's in pretty good condition given the fall.
          Are we riding yet?

Comment

glad the see you walked away unscathed! a set of sliders woulda made a world of difference there.
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
              glad the see you walked away unscathed! a set of sliders woulda made a world of difference there.
              i DID have sliders. they didn't do to well on grass. one side did its job, the other didn't do it so well.
              joey b.

Comment

Glad you are not worse off.

The bike does not look too bad, can be fixed easily.
                How did that handle bar get bent, did the bike flip over as well?
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Glad you are OK. Sucks about the bike, but it could have been a lot worse! Glad to see you had Scorpion gear on - I love their helmets!
                  "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Looks like you did OK, all things considered.

Dent in the tank is probably from the handlebar that's bad.

I have the bar-tube, clutch lever, OEM Grip, replacement mirror, clutch cable if you need 'em all in stock & ready to ship (could be at your door wednesday if you buy now).

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      Looks like you did OK, all things considered.

Dent in the tank is probably from the handlebar that's bad.

I have the bar-tube, clutch lever, OEM Grip, replacement mirror, clutch cable if you need 'em all in stock & ready to ship (could be at your door wednesday if you buy now).

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      thanks for the offer! My mirrors made it out pretty much unscathed. the Clutch is actually working great (I would have been able to ride it home if the handlbar had not been bent to hell).

I have to assume it thunked around at the end of my lowside. i distinctly remember it sliding in front of my on its right side first.
                      joey b.

Comment

Glad you made it out okay.

But, someone correct me if I am wrong here; why did you give it more gas in the corner to help you make the turn? In my experience, when you give it more throttle, it will cause the bike to want to stand up, in turn, causing you to have to fight even harder to turn.
                        2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                        BMC Notorious 918 HT
                        2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                          Glad you made it out okay.

But, someone correct me if I am wrong here; why did you give it more gas in the corner to help you make the turn? In my experience, when you give it more throttle, it will cause the bike to want to stand up, in turn, causing you to have to fight even harder to turn.
                          letting off of the throttle would have caused me to lose stability at a very bad time, rolling on the throttle and leaning at a tighter angle would have helped me make the turn tighter. as it stands, I was rolling on the throttle and nothing was happening (well nothing much..I started rolling on the throttle by the time I crossed the yellow lines, the first time I had done so that day, and we're talking a ton of corners.. was at at too low rpm for the kat to give me any kind of useful response).

i ride with a pretty technical group, and I fully admit my mistakes here. I do intend to read more about throttle and acceleration during corners in some articles I have been linked to on the txsbr forums. I was at a very, very low angle.
                          joey b.

Comment

Originally posted by kharma View Post
                            i DID have sliders. they didn't do to well on grass. one side did its job, the other didn't do it so well.
                            Glad to see you make it out ok. It could have been a lot worst.
                            I think your sliders worked well based on how your handle bar look and the speed that you were going at. I think they are designed to snap off at high speed impact so not to bend the frame.
                            -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                            sigpic

Comment

if i haven't said this before, kudos to ontariokatana on my exhaust saver, it looks flawless.
                              joey b.

Comment

Working...
                              X