X

What to ask or look for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to ask or look for?

Potential new katana owner here. Question.

OK got an offer to trade a 95 kat 600 for my cherokee... OK cool he says its in the shop right now for carb problems and tune up... No biggie says all it needs are mirrors and a windshield... says he thinks the guy before him may have lowered it a lil. he says it seems low to him.. anyway what else should i ask about and look at or be aware of or know about with this model.... thanks...

i asked on another cycle forum i am on and this was the response i got..

how about a newer year?

parts replacement is a consideration.

I have a tenent/roomate who has a Katana.

He says it's a bad deal not worth a cherokee

Steel frame so look for damge and corrosion.
    Parts not easy to get.
    too old.
    Last edited by medicbear; 06-28-2009, 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

As per CyberPoet:

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by JimG4652; 06-29-2009, 05:06 PM. Reason: To give credit where credit is due
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

Kat are notorious for:

A) Fork seals leaking
      B) Second gear wears/breaks, so make sure it doesnt pop out of 2nd
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

parts are really, really easy to get and since when is 95 too old? That just means the bike has experience. You can have just as much fun on an old bike as you can on a new one. That being said, you don't mention anything about your cherokee. It's hard to say if it's a reasonable trade without knowing something of the trade vehicle.
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell
        »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

If your cherokee has over 150k miles and is in crap shape, then yes it's a good deal for you. If it's your daily driver and is in decent shape, look elsewhere the bike isn't worth that much.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

im gonna agree with snotty on this one
            thoughts create things

Comment

95 too old? damn, my newest bike is a 92.....and I would put it up against an 05 or better as far as it's condition.

age is irrelevant. it's how it was maintained that counts.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                95 too old? damn, my newest bike is a 92.....and I would put it up against an 05 or better as far as it's condition.

age is irrelevant. it's how it was maintained that counts.
                Yours is an exception to the rule, Mojoe (and you know it, because you were bragging on it).

The one he's thinking of is sans mirrors & windshield (implying it probably went down at some point), got carbs being sorted (means it probably sat for way too long -- and might also be a big contender for gas-tank rust)...

JimG4652 was nice enough to post up my used-bike inspection list from my website -- I highly recommend you use it to do the inspection, and preferably take someone with you who is familiar with bikes...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  Yours is an exception to the rule, Mojoe (and you know it, because you were bragging on it).

The one he's thinking of is sans mirrors & windshield (implying it probably went down at some point), got carbs being sorted (means it probably sat for way too long -- and might also be a big contender for gas-tank rust)...

JimG4652 was nice enough to post up my used-bike inspection list from my website -- I highly recommend you use it to do the inspection, and preferably take someone with you who is familiar with bikes...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I don't know about that. Yes, my bikes is all nice and shiny and new looking, and has been well taken care of, but it still has 80k kms on it. Arstine has the same bike with only 18k miles on it. My 83 1100 has 12k miles on it.

All I am saying is that the age should not be the sole and deciding factor. Especially if the bike is located in a place where it is in storage half the year. riding season here is on average 4-5 months. at 4 months, that would technically make a 10 yr old bike only 3.33333 years old as far as actual "use" is concerned.

your point about the windscreen, mirrors and carbs holds true of course. but I wasn't really talking about that particular bike. I was speaking in general. myself, I prefer older bikes. that is where I seem to find the best bang for my buck.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                  X