X

What The F?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The F?

So I ordered a set of HEL brake lines straight from HEL for my 92 kat. I put the rear line on yesterday and it was a couple inches longer than the original, but no big deal. So I went to put the front lines on today and they're 8" too long . This is the stock 3-line kit not the 2-line kit. Without the top line to the splitter the lines are about 3 inches too short. Thus there is absolutely no way for these lines to fit my bike. What the hell? I left HEL an angry message since I kinda need this bike back together by Tuesday. Hopefully they'll just refund my money and I can have someone local make me replacement lines. Anyone else had this problem?
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Ross if you ordered those from the UK then that is why they are longer. Ross Shoot me your number. Maybe I can help you out with this. Also I would measure your lines and send them the measurements on them. They could not have the correct information. I have also noticed that the ones that come from the UK are usually longer.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Not sure about the HEL/UK lines specifically, but I do know the lines for the pre's are different than the post-98's, and the 98+ rear line for the 600 & 750 are different lengths when buying from most brake line manufacturers (the 750 one will fit the 600, but not visa-versa typically due to a 1/2" length difference).

I can't imagine that they gave you 3" of spare line unless you accidentally ordered for a GSX or GSF rather than for a GSXF (or someone at fulfillment mis-read it while packaging the order). There were Suzuki models carried in the UK market that never saw the American market (such as the GSX750 -- not to be confused with the GSX750F "katana" nor the GSXR750) that may have compounded the issue.

Meanwhile, too much brake line is far better than too little...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A little long wouldn't be a problem, but they are so long that the lines would hit the exhaust header when installed. And not just a little, I mean like full on extends past the header and almost hits the engine block long. The packing slip says GSX600F so I definately ordered the correct part and I ordered from HEL USA so I can't imagine why they'd send me the UK lines.

I'm not quite as ****ed now that I've found out that the rubber dampers and plates around the front sprocket are all chewed up so I won't be able to get the bike together by tuesday anyway. It's still just frustrating, I've had alot of this kind of problem lately.
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell

Comment

I have the same problem for my 88 1100 I ordered from HS2020 they sent out two lines instead of the three line set either way to long if I use the splitter or way to short with out. hopefully HS2020 is working on it for me I have been waiting over a month now to get the rear one and the third line for the front very frustrating I just had to zip tie my fronts up so they dont hit anything but still for the price you pay you should get the right set I would think

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
            Hopefully they'll just refund my money and I can have someone local make me replacement lines. Anyone else had this problem?
            if someone local is actually set up to be able to make lines, then they can shorten your with no problem. so why not just save yourself a lot of headache from chasing down HEL for a refund, and just have them snip off a few inches and install a new fitting. problem solved.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ive been using stuff from HEL (uk) for many years & while there has been the occaisional cock up (as with any company) ive always found them very helpfull & quick to sort any problems, usually giving a discount or even freebe's as an appology for the hassle

I suggest you give them a bell & politely ask them to sort it, mention that you need the bike on the road & this is holding you up, if they are anything like the uk folks they will help as much as possible if you are polite but ranting dowm the phone will get you nowhere

ps i'm not understanding why the uk lines would be longer as HS2020 said would someone like to explain that one please
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I have HEL lines on my Pre and they fit great. You should have ordered them from Jimmah (HS2020).
                -
                -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I think I will see what the local place can do about shortening the lines. Should save me some money. I'll see how things go when I talk to HEL tomorrow.
                  sigpic
                  »Ross Wendell

Comment

Originally posted by ran_lan View Post
                    I have the same problem for my 88 1100 I ordered from HS2020 they sent out two lines instead of the three line set either way to long if I use the splitter or way to short with out. hopefully HS2020 is working on it for me I have been waiting over a month now to get the rear one and the third line for the front very frustrating I just had to zip tie my fronts up so they dont hit anything but still for the price you pay you should get the right set I would think
                    i have the same frustration as you on this. My HEL combo set for 05 katana was defective (with the rear line leaked at the banjo). It took them almost 2 months to send out a replacement. I was ****ed as well.

Comment

Well, I got a resolution, not a great one, and I will certainly never ever deal with HEL ever again.

Basically I'm supposed to send them back the lines (at my expense) they will "fix" them and return them to me. They refused to allow me to just send back the bad lines and get a refund without charging a 25% restocking fee (restocking?! you mean you're gonna put them back on the shelf and screw someone else over?!). I asked about getting the lines fixed locally and they said they would consider refunding 15-20% of the purchase price. Their position on the whole matter is that "you have an older bike and so we probably don't have good measurements for it" and that is somehow my problem not theirs. Great, they pretty much just admitted that they're basically throwing together kits, slapping a model on it, and dealing with the problems (poorly) later. Never again. I guess my kat is just gonna be out of commission for the next couple of weeks while HEL pulls their heads out of their asses.
                      Last edited by RossW; 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM.
                      sigpic
                      »Ross Wendell

Comment

Working...
                      X