X

.... died then dropped....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .... died then dropped....

today i was taking the bike out for a ride, the first real ride since i have been home, through the country, so, i get about 20 minutes from my house when the idle slowly rose up to around 3000 rpm, then cruising around 45-60 mph, running great for the past few days, the throttle would just cut out. it would be like i let off of it, instantly dropped below 2000, then back up to a normal range. after a few seconds of this i found a parking lot, pulled in the clutch, then got to neutral, then as i was rolling into the parking lot, the bike stalled out.

i waited a few minutes, bike started out fine, idling high as it has recently, (was gonna take it in for a carb rebuild and engine serviceing this week anyway) i figured it just overheated, so it was idling, sounded normal, then i started going, throttled up while in neutral ( and 1st with clutch pulled in) revved like normal, sounded fine as well. but when i started to roll out, once it hit ~3500 rpm, it just died....

THEN to top it off:

when my friends got there with a truck, i was standing next to the bike, lining it up for the ramp, i dropped it, smelled gas, a little dripped, but i think it was just the overflow emptying, so far the brake lever is bent, and i am scared to go look at the rest of it. taking it to a shop tomorrow, getting the carbs rebuilt, and hopefully that will solve my problem, and gonna put on my old lever again...

so the moral of the story is:
    WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
    "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

I'd change the oil too, if it overheated you burned it for sure.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

ill make sure they do that too haha, IF it even overheated
      "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Pull your plugs. My guess is that they were fouling from bad jetting in the mid-RPM ranges. Symptoms seem to correspond to that scenario. A quick look at the plugs should be able to confirm it.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

o and i figured since the guy who came up to pick the bike up was the owner and a relatively new dealer, he asked how i heard about the store, and i just said my dad saw the building driving past it.
          i would like to put his name out here for the locals in the greater cleveland area,

http://www.lakecountymotorsports.net

they are on mentor avenue in mentor, quoted some great prices, very professional, i will update on the quality of work when i get my baby back!
          "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

UPDATE!!

SO, the bike was only firing on only 3 cylinders, when the mechanic fired up the 4th one, the bike was burning through oil, like plumes of smoke out of the exhaust. carbs got cleaned though! haha

so the guy told me that he has a parts bike laying around, with a perfectly good engine, carbs, exhaust, electrical, but no title, or plastics. so he is going to swap all the better stuff to my bike, and give me everything from the two combined for 700.

im going to look at the other bike tomorrow, and im thinkin im gonna go through with it!
            "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by labbatom90 View Post
              UPDATE!!

SO, the bike was only firing on only 3 cylinders, when the mechanic fired up the 4th one, the bike was burning through oil, like plumes of smoke out of the exhaust. carbs got cleaned though! haha

so the guy told me that he has a parts bike laying around, with a perfectly good engine, carbs, exhaust, electrical, but no title, or plastics. so he is going to swap all the better stuff to my bike, and give me everything from the two combined for 700.

im going to look at the other bike tomorrow, and im thinkin im gonna go through with it!
              He's going to do the swap for you, and provide the parts bike to you when it over for $700?

If that is a yes, now that is in my oppinion.... a !@#$ good deal!

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

that is correct,
                "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X