X

Safety advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety advice

I have two friends that have been riding since March, no prior experience. One bought a 750 Gixx, the other a TL1000. Both have been trying to stunt, and have had their bikes up to 130+. I've tried talking to them about their safety, using my two experiences with the pavement, stunting and riding hard.

Over the weekend they were riding around Helen, Ga. area for those familiar with it, and the TL lost it. Bikes torn up, but he escaped with only some bruises to his shoulder and his ego. I don't ride with them much anymore because of what they wish to do, but any advice to get through to them is needed. Even if I keep myself away from them, I don't want to get a call from their other half, saying they have been seriouslyinjured.

Keep it simple.....1+1=2

Tell them that they have to learn to measure danger.
    Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

If the pavement doesn't straighten up that one friend of yours, no amount of talking will do it.

I'm sure you have expressed your thoughts to them on their riding style. Perhaps you can speak with their "other halves"? How about suggesting a club where stunting can be done in a remote and legal area? If that doesn't work, I think you have taken the next best step: distance yourself from them. I hate to suggest it, but if the pavement doesn't smarten them up, that may mean emotional distance as well as physical.
      Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Yep. If they want to try and stunt and whatnot, they're not likely to listen to anyone trying to talk them out of it. People are more likely to respond when they feel you understand their desire instead of fighting them on it. Best thing (advice wise) I think you can do is educate them on how and where to do things safely. Motorcycling is a risk, it's how you manage the risk that's important.

Comment

And perhaps sending them a linky to the Arsenic topics, or just a site like this in general. Then again, it looks like they have the whole "not gunna happen to me" thing going.

Comment

Living in the Akron/Canton OH area, home of the StarBoyz, I have met quite a few "stunters". Some of them are experienced riders and truely know what they are doing. MOST of them are squids with money that wanna impress their friends or get chicks. ALL of them seem to think they are invinsible, regardless of how many times they watch each other die.

Hopefully your friends learn that life is too precious to throw it away trying to impress people. I got a Katana was because I knew I wouldnt be able to stunt it. Thankfully I also have a fiance and a family that does everything they can to remind me of the risks involved in riding.
            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Sadly, just too many people do not listen when you try to teach them of the risks. Even if they are your friends, they sometimes just don't want to listen. As Scott stated, maybe the one who dumped has already learned....but seeing as his ego is what took the biggest hit, it may entice him to do it even more just to show everyone that he can do it without dumping. I hope this isn't the case though.

If you do feel the need to distance yourself from them because of the way they choose to ride, be sure to tell them straight up to their face the reason. Maybe once they have a few tell them that, they will see that not everyone who rides on 2 wheels think what they are doing is cool.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

At least try to get them into a parking lot (empty) and off the public roads.

Comment

Poor TL1000
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    Poor TL1000
                    Thats what I'm thinking....... I have one buddy that thinks he had to start out on bike that "wasn't slow" (quoting him) so he out and bought (this spring) a '02 GSXR 750 with Yosi cam sprockets, Yosi Header and pipe, and a dyno tuned Power Programmer that put it to 160 WHP...... Last year he rode his bro's '98 kat a couple of times and said that it was "too heavy". Without even having a MONTH of riding experiance he had it over 150.... now he has had it to 186 MPH (speed limiter). He said that he is " relaxed on his bike" but yet doesn't know how to ride in a staggered formation. After the last time I rode with him.... I won't do it again. He basiclly got the Gixxer because its fast and pulls wheelies easy.......
                    '07 SV1000S
                    Power Commander III USB
                    M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                    Driven 520 chain kit
                    Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

[quote="SoloScott"]If the pavement doesn't straighten up that one friend of yours, no amount of talking will do it.

I've seen over this past weekend, no amount of talking is going to do. I was able to copy Beeks post ( Deep thoughts) before it was taken down and several others from the weekend. Hopefully reading through some of those will help him. Thank you all for your comments.

KMB

Keep it simple.....1+1=2

Comment

Rookie + TLR1K =- highside waiting to happen
                        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                        X