X

Tire pressure question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure question.

I just purchased an 05 Katana 600 (first bike) about 2 months ago and yesterday I checked my tire pressure (cold) and it was somewhere between 40-45psi so I reduced it to what the manual suggests which was I believe 36psi (I dont have the manual in front of me at the moment). But anyway I took my bike out of the drive way and it I could tell right away something was wrong, the bike would hardly turn! I went out and bought a new air pressure gauge to make sure my readings were correct and sure enough they were. So whats the deal, what is the correct tire pressure? Is the owners manual wrong?

33 front - 36 rear ( for a rider around 150 lbs )

tim

Comment

Ok, I am 6'4" about 265 lbs. Should I use about 40psi?

Comment

I think at least 40 psi. I am 185 lbs and I keep my rear at about 40 psi. However, I am not a "psi-expert". I keep my front at about 35.
        Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Why don't we ask Cyber what he thinks, Oh Cyber......you out there?
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
            Why don't we ask Cyber what he thinks, Oh Cyber......you out there?
            I agree

Comment

Originally posted by MHolden
              Ok, I am 6'4" about 265 lbs. Should I use about 40psi?
              i follow a 'golden rule' of 1 psi per 50lbs

so i would try 35f-38r.

tim

btw - this is something you should check every ride. it's part of my pre-flight checklist !

Comment

I think about checking my tire pressure more than I do it. If I check it too much, I need to get to a gas station to fill up that 0.5 psi that I lost when checking. That's part of the reason I run pressure on the high side (BTW, 40 psi is when hot).

Comment

I ran 35-6 front and 38 or so rear on my last set I'm 205lbs and it seemed to handle fine.

Have you bumped up your suspension settings? I've been told the Kat is set up for your average 150lb rider, I increased the front by one notch and the rear by 2 I think, But I'd have to go check to be sure.
                  Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                    I think about checking my tire pressure more than I do it. If I check it too much, I need to get to a gas station to fill up that 0.5 psi that I lost when checking. That's part of the reason I run pressure on the high side (BTW, 40 psi is when hot).
                    you can get a foot pump for $10.00 and a quality guage forr the same amount. i've found that my rear is very stable but the front looses a little.

i adjust my pressure for outside temp also ( winter - lower it & on a HOT summer day i might raise it 1 psi )

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X