X

I need some humble KR wisdom about bike covers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, here's my two bits...

Living in Florida without a garage, I'm very well acquainted with what the sun does to bikes [tomorrow's UV Index: 10+ according to weather.com]. Ditto what rain, tree sap, bugs, idiots flipping away cigarette butts, hail, and the local lawn-care people do (those lawn cuttings are going somewhere!).

If there is no covered parking to be found, a cover is a lifesaver for a bike, greatly reducing the aging process. But a crappy cover is like a crappy condom -- you'll come to regret wasting the money in the first place. Buy good quality the first time.

So what do you look for in a good cover for this kind of situation?
    Thick material. Lightweight covers are nice for keeping dust off in a covered parking situation, but the same UV rays that you're trying to prevent getting at your paint, plastics & vinyls will degrade the strength of the fabric in short order and a lightweight cover will tear readily (I've seen the cheapest of the chinese covers, the $20 ebay specials, go off in about a month here). Something specifically rated for high-UV exposure is a big plus; a lifetime warrantee against UV failure is a huge plus.
    Some form of venting close to the top, preferably covered with an integrated reinforced flap or guard, to let hot air out move out by convection without letting rain & debris in.
    Some form of softer fabric sewn on the inside to protect your windshield (to keep you from scratching it by the repeated putting-on/taking-off of the cover). Really high-end units sometimes offer the same softer fabric all over except in the seating & exhaust areas -- not in the seating areas because if you cover a wet bike in the rain, you don't want the water potentially held to a leather seat; not in the exhaust area because you don't want the fabric to burn/char.
    Good fitment. A properly sized cover will cover below the axle bolts of both wheels, won't droop too significantly over the tank, and will shed water if you take a garden hose to it (as verses to pooling it somewhere above the bike).
    Some form of heat-shield or heat-compatible material where the muffler is. You want to be able to cover the bike while it's still hot without having to worry about it.
    bonus points: strap under the bike to hold the cover tight (for longer periods away or extremely windy days), grommit-holes for a chain or lock, optional alarm, zippers to ease getting it on and off.

The problem with a cover of this nature (example: Dowco Gaurdian, Durasheild "lined" series, etc.) is that it's going to be pretty large once its' been unfolded/used a few times -- you're not going to want to have to drag it home every day unless you have large saddle bags that make storing it easy without taking the time to fold it up perfectly each time.
    Note: Local boat upholstery places can traditionally make you one to spec as well, if you don't want to buy off-the-rack.

You could always go the other route and buy yourself a canopy or portable instead, install that at work:
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
      first off you should realize the paint on a car part is different than the paint on a motorcycle. Simply because your painting abs instead of steel/aluminum. It might not be chemically different, but because its on a different medium of material it can fade in different ways.

Second, i have a 99 kat. had it since 07. When i got it the stupid previous owners failed to remove the warning stickers on the tank and left and right fenders. After i removed the stickers it was very obvious that the paint faded. Not only was it much less glossy (thats how u say that right?) but it was a much brighter ferrari looking red over the oem's warmer darker red.

Now i agree, its a bike, ride it and dont cry over something you probably wouldnt notice unless your bike was parked next to the same year of a garage kept one... but that doesnt mean you should neglect your baby. Im not sure if you have an expendable income or whatever, but id like the stuff i spend a lot of money on to stay lookin purrrrrdy. Like i said above, it keeps the paint from fading, parts from weathering (hoses, plastic, etc.) and a minor theft deturant. I say get one if u want one, otherwise dont. Its YOUR bike and YOUR opinion/responsibility so do what u want.
      I am confused... The bumpers on most cars are plastic? I do not know about you but i spent a considerable more amount of money on my cage than the bike, yet we do not bother with covers on them. I DO know what affects UV has on paint HOWEVER it really depends on the paint. the older enamels are horrible with uV and fading ( i have experience with that.) the new paints are a LOT better. In fact i thought i saw somewhere that they have a clear coat that has UV protection built in to it.
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
      X