X

Pre Kat to old?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Kat to old?

I'm shopping for my first bike, and have found a few pre Kats for less than 2k. They look to be in good shape, but im a little paranoid about buying a bike that is 15 years old. This will be my first bike, and I dont want spend to much on it, but I want somthing that will be reliable at the same time....

Originally posted by The_Incredible_Hulk View Post
    I'm shopping for my first bike, and have found a few pre Kats for less than 2k. They look to be in good shape, but im a little paranoid about buying a bike that is 15 years old. This will be my first bike, and I dont want spend to much on it, but I want somthing that will be reliable at the same time....
    If it's been upkept well, they are very reliable.

If you give it a good once through, you can make it pretty reliable.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Forgot to ask, what kind of maintenance is required on one of these bikes?

Comment

Mine is 20 years old. Runs great!!

Comment

If it's not been taken care of real well, do the following...

clean and apply dialectric grease to all connections.
          Pull the wheels and swingarm off to inspect and clean then repack the grease in the bearings.
          Replace the brake lines (as they are probably the originals) unless braided steel lines are on there.
          Check the fork seals, replace if nessasary. Replace the fork oil and make sure it's filled correctly
          Check the chain and sprockets for wear. Replace as nessasary.
          Check valve clearances, clean and sync carbs.

Once that is done, your golden for a good while with basic care after that.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Pull the wheels and swingarm off to inspect and clean then repack the grease in the bearings.
            Replace the brake lines (as they are probably the originals) unless braided steel lines are on there.
            Check the fork seals, replace if nessasary. Replace the fork oil and make sure it's filled correctly

Krey
            Great Info,Thanks!

Comment

No such thing as a bike thats too old, they just have more charatcer! If it works for you do it. Im working on my fathers 150 dream, its 40 yrs old I love it!

If a bike does it for you no matter what the age, take the time and invest in it. Older bikes are easy to work on.

Comment

Dont be a pansy. Just cause it's old doesnt mean it cant turn the heads and kick some ***. I have 5 vehicles, and the newest one is an 88 (which happens to be my kat 1100).

They all work, they all rock, and combined they cost me less than if i went out and bought the cheapest new vehicle out there.
                charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

just keep in mind ...new tires big plus... tagged ... no broken plastics.... not to many miles big plus ..good chain and sprockets big plus it all adds up fast, real fast -O- rust in tank ?-if it runs fine with all these things , its should be fine

Comment

if you can take it apart you can work on it. and believe me, taking apart the kat was easier then working on a paintball gun. and i'm a certified airsmith for paintball guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                      thats pretty much what im in the process of doing to mine, and its like new again

Comment

Thanks for te feed back guys, looks like im gonna go look at a few of these older kats...

Comment

Working...
                        X