X

importing a bike into US from canada

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing a bike into US from canada

i've basically been given a 2006 kawasaki zzr600 from a buddy in canada but i've never imported a vehicle before. i'm planning on flying up there and then riding it back to oklahoma (long ride i know). anybody here that has done this before? also, i kno this is a kat forum but does anybody know if there are any differences between the canadian model zzr's and the us models. i know there are emissions regulations that i'll need to meet when importing it.

get specs on the canadian model .. go to your local dmv ..visit the local department of the highway patrol .. or department of transportation .. someone should be able to point you in the right direction
    so many roads so little time

Comment

Yay, it's mine turn to use LMGTFY.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=importing+a+vehicle+into+texas

Since your in Texas, first link will get you started.

Also:

http://www.txdot.gov/
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I don't see the zzr600 on the NHTSA list of approved vehicles...

If it's not already approved for importation, it's generally not worth it.
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell
        »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

call the canada boarder crossing and ask to be sure first ..it will save you time for sure

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
            call the canada boarder crossing and ask to be sure first ..it will save you time for sure

wouldn't it be US customs because he want to take it into the US
            by the way if you bail on the deal I might be interested , let me know
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
              I don't see the zzr600 on the NHTSA list of approved vehicles...
              Interesting, considering my dad has one in his garage....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

from what i've seen so far i can't find any differences between the us and canadian zzr600. i plan on calling both the us and canadian kawasaki offices today after work to find out more info. thx for the help so far and i'll keep u guys updated on what i find and what happens. also thanks for the tx info, but i'm in oklahoma now lol, sorry my info wasn't updated. i gotta take the kat up to the tag agency today so i'll ask them about what i'm going to need.

Comment

I purchased my GS500 from someone in Canada but drove it back on a truck - no issues whatsoever, had to show paperwork of course. Driving it back is a different ball game. I would definitely ask your friend to check DMV laws up there as far as the border patrol is and your local DMV.

Comment

You will have to get the gages converted from Km/h to Mp/h or at least you have to when bringing vechiles from US to Canada

Comment

ok i talked to kawasaki today, sadly i couldn't talk to the canadian branch but the bike was made here in the US so i talked to the US branch and they said if the bike was made in the US for canada it matches US bikes and should meet all emissions standards, etc. talked to the owner today and the speedo is MPH and local dmv said all i need to get it tagged and the canadian title transfered is same stuff i need if it was a US bike. so overall its looking pretty good. gotta look up taxes and stuff to make sure i got all that covered but it looks like its all gonna work out. thanks for the help guys

Comment

Cool.

Here in California sales tax is payed at the same time when registering the bike.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                        X