X

2 questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions

Hi all I am a new Katana owner. I just picked up a 2006 750 with only 2500 miles!

Anyway, I have a couple questions.

1. I was out riding around today and I am noticing that the RPMs range a little strange. Now this is my first sports/touring bike (had all older cruisers before) so it might just be me, but it seems like the RPMs are a little high for the speed and gear I am in. For example, when running at 55 mph, the RPMs are at 4k and higher obviously as I speed up. Also the bike feels like it needs to shift as well. Kind of like that high RPM vibrating feeling you feel when your about to up shift or when your downshifting. Is this a normal range for RPM vs. speed?

2. Also, on the same ride while on the freeway I was running about 70 mph. All of a sudden the bike lost power like it was out of gas. The gauge was in the red but not all the way down. I dont have to tell you how difficult it was to merge 5 lanes in Los Angeles traffic to get off the freeway. Here is the strange thing though, as soon as I got on the offramp, the power picked back up and the bike ran fine. I turned on the reserve just in case and made my way to a gas station and filled it up. After that it was fine.

Overall the bike is flawless, low miles runs great, but I just wanted to run these things by you guys.

Thanks
    Last edited by surfrider26; 06-24-2009, 06:04 PM.
    2006 Suzuki Katana 750
    2008 Kawasaki KX250F
    2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
    1997 Suzuki RM250

Welcome to the site! others will probably give better answers

whats wrong with 4k at 55mph? Thats normal im pretty sure. And as for the gas gauge, i don't really trust it anyway, i would learn the mpg or watch the odometer

Comment

1 the RPM range sounds normal to me

2 sounds like you were right at the edge of your fuel and at Higher RPM's the there was not enough fuel to supply the carbs that is why switching to reserve solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by doblerj14 View Post
        1 the RPM range sounds normal to me

2 sounds like you were right at the edge of your fuel and at Higher RPM's the there was not enough fuel to supply the carbs that is why switching to reserve solved the problem.
        Thats what I thought

This is actually my first bike with a gas gauge haha so I might just go back to mileage/odometer.
        2006 Suzuki Katana 750
        2008 Kawasaki KX250F
        2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
        1997 Suzuki RM250

Comment

If your used to cruisers then yeah it would seem a touch high but these inline 4s rev much differently. 4k at 55 mph isnt all that uncommon depending what gear your in. And #2 you'll learn your bike as you ride it more. That gas gauge is never gonna be spot on being your whippin the bike to and fro. The levels gonna change as well. Its basicly more of a reference/status to the fuel left. Sounds like you found the edge to me.
          Last edited by JokerZwild; 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

how many miles do you guys usually get per tank? Either highway or in town?
            2006 Suzuki Katana 750
            2008 Kawasaki KX250F
            2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
            1997 Suzuki RM250

Comment

it varies, all depends on your style. I've had disgustingly low mpg and a best of about 60mpg

heres a good thread, paints a better pic
              KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
              and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by surfrider26 View Post
                how many miles do you guys usually get per tank? Either highway or in town?
                It all depends on how bad im wringin its neck at the time.
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I usually get about 175 and then switch to reserve. I tend to get better gas mileage than a lot of other guys here report. I usually run anywhere from 45-55 mpg.

Comment

If you are semi-easy on it and the bike is correctly tuned (proper a/f, carbs synched and no leaks) you should see 40's mpg.

my new bikes best has been 36 , but its a different animal and I cant tune it as its FI. yet!

Comment

Welcome! Enjoy the bike this summer!

Comment

I own a 2006 750 and your RPM's are normal. Your fuel range when riding in a commuting manner (not spirited) that you will average about 46-48mpg. At the gas guage range you were describing it sounds as if you were about the same place that I normally have to hit reserve at about the 1/2 way deep into the red.
                        If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                          I own a 2006 750 and your RPM's are normal. Your fuel range when riding in a commuting manner (not spirited) that you will average about 46-48mpg. At the gas guage range you were describing it sounds as if you were about the same place that I normally have to hit reserve at about the 1/2 way deep into the red.
                          Interesting. Yea the gauge was about halfway in the red. Good to know.

Did you have vibration issues in between certain RPM ranges? I think that is what is bothering me.
                          2006 Suzuki Katana 750
                          2008 Kawasaki KX250F
                          2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
                          1997 Suzuki RM250

Comment

I stop and fuel up at 150 mi.

Comment

Just got my first 2005 Kat750 yesterday. I noticed the high rpms as well, but I didn't notice any issues with vibrations. Actually, it was an awesomely smooth ride compared to my cruiser.

Comment

Working...
                              X