First Bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bike

Hi...
    Im taking the MSF Course next week and will be looking to buy a bike soon after. I found a 04 Kat 600 for sale with only 400miles. The bike is in perfect conditiion and includes matching helmet, jacket and gloves. It also includes a bike trailer. The asking price is $5800. I will have to drive 650miles each way to pick up the bike. Does this sound like a decent deal??

Thanks
    Jmat1980

That's only about $1000 off list. You'd probably get a better deal on a bike that is a year or two older. Not to mention it would look better in my opinion. If it weren't for the extras, I'd say no since you are having to drive 1300 miles to get it home. With the extras thrown in, it's hard for me say. I'm sure you will get more opinions soon.

Comment

Well, a brand spankin' new '04 has MSRP of $6,300 and a new '05 has $6,400, so that's really only $500-600 off of a new one.

Plus, you don't know how this one was treated or maintained (especially since it's still in its break-in period). Also, without specifics, the gear might be on the low end too ($150 helmet, $100 jacket, $40 gloves or something).

But... this is all worst case.

The bike could have been pampered and the gear might be some top-notch stuff. For me, I guess it depends on this.

Oh, and it's almost gaurenteed that you'll drop the bike during the learning period. Because of that, it's a general rule to not spend a lot of $$ and get an older used bike as a 1st bike.
      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

It sounds good considering it includes gear and the bike trailer. The trailer must be at least $500 and the gear is another $300+

Comment

Have you actually seen the bike? What are you judging the "perfect condition" on? I really encourage shopping around a bit first and getting something a little older with more miles. You'll get a good deal that way. The basic design on a Kat has not changed since 1998, so no one on the street will really know the difference.

I just bought a 99' Kat for $2600 and that included a helmet, bike cover and cleaner for the K&N air filter. My bike looks brand new (well it did until I dropped it in the parking lot) and it runs near perfection. All the gear thrown in is a good bonus, but only if you use it. Do you plan on hauling your bike around on a trailer?

Bottom Line: You can find a better deal if you have patience and follow the advice of the fine people on this website.
          1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Just try to knock off a few hundred for all the traveling you have to do and it sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
              Well, a brand spankin' new '04 has MSRP of $6,300 and a new '05 has $6,400, so that's really only $500-600 off of a new one.

Plus, you don't know how this one was treated or maintained (especially since it's still in its break-in period). Also, without specifics, the gear might be on the low end too ($150 helmet, $100 jacket, $40 gloves or something).

But... this is all worst case.

The bike could have been pampered and the gear might be some top-notch stuff. For me, I guess it depends on this.

Oh, and it's almost gaurenteed that you'll drop the bike during the learning period. Because of that, it's a general rule to not spend a lot of $$ and get an older used bike as a 1st bike.
              Originally posted by wantakat
              That's only about $1000 off list. You'd probably get a better deal on a bike that is a year or two older. Not to mention it would look better in my opinion. If it weren't for the extras, I'd say no since you are having to drive 1300 miles to get it home. With the extras thrown in, it's hard for me say. I'm sure you will get more opinions soon.

Ummm.....considerring the bike only has 400 miles on it, it is new if you ask me. It hasn't even been broken in yet. I have seen deals like this often in the past. Someone decides they want a new toy and goes all out with the gear, trailer....whatever, or he could have possibly got all that for a planned trip and decided after that it just wasn't his thing. Or maybe the insurance is costing him too much.
              Ask for some pics of the gear and trailer. However, $5800 isn't that bad really.....cheaper than a new one and new itself. $5800 advertise can surely be had for $5500 if you wave 55 $100 bills under his nose. Better yet...and this works super cuz not too many people see them in thier life.....ask the bank for 5 $1000 bills and a $500 dollar bill. I sometimes request $1000 bills whenever I am paying cash for anything up around that amount. It saves carrying a huge wad of bills. Sometimes it takes the bank a day or 2 to get them though. The point is, from my experience, $1000 bills seem to work better than a pile of hundreds for negotiating. I almost think they go for it just so that they can actually have the $1000 bills in their hand.
              so....considerring you may have $1000 in decent gear/trailer, I would say it was worth looking into.

OH...and no offense to Teh_K, but don't listen to him about almost being garanteed to drop the bike. I think it is bad karma to talk like that. If you follow a msf course and use your head when you ride, you can easily avoid going down. As far as just dropping it or it falling over, that can happen just as easily to a 20 year veteran and it doesn't make a bit of diff if the bike is new or old. That is shit that just happens....but it to can be avoided.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thankx for the replies...
                I will use the trailer cuz im from Boston but live in VA, so when I go home I will be able to take it on the trailer...

About dropping the bike...Everyone says "your going to drop your first bike" Sure its possible, but out of everyone I know with a bike, NONE of them have ever dropped them. Sure, if you ride like a jackass, you probably will but if you are careful and have MSF, and ride cautiously you probably wont.

Anyhow, I figure I can get the bike down a good 500-800 dollars so id be paying around 5000 for the package... Ive seen pics and everything is mint...

Thanks again for all the replies...
                Jmat1980

Comment

if you really want it, don't hesitate too long. while you are trying to get it down $5-800, someone else might be happy to settle for knocking $300 off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    As far as just dropping it or it falling over, that can happen just as easily to a 20 year veteran and it doesn't make a bit of diff if the bike is new or old. That is shiate that just happens....
                    Well, that's pretty much what I meant. I don't consider a wreck or crash (at any speed) to be a 'drop'. I consider a drop for what it is... a drop. You drop the bike (i.e. it falls over). But even that can scratch up the fairing or that 'Suzuki' engine cover piece, bend a handle bar, break a lever, crack the turn signal lense, or otherwise damage the bike in a minor way.

Don't think of it as bad karma of any sort, it's more of a sort of comfort that if or when you drop a bike, don't feel bad 'cause most riders have done that before.

ANYway, pleasant vibes go out to your new bike and riding experience 8)
                    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I wouldn't ever buy a bike that is still in it's break-in period, unless it's brand friggin new. You're supposed to be nice and not beat on the bike during break in, and I don't believe that anyone would sell their bike without even knowing what it'll really do, ya know? Nobody gets rid of a bike without having taken it out to redline several times.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Not to question you on this Loud but just cause a bike has more miles on it does not mean it was not abused during the "break in phase."

In addition this break in period is a myth according to some articles I have read. Will try to find them and post.

The quality control programs and the advances in technology have allowed for parts to be machined to a much greater precicsion and there is no real break in period in this day and age for modern machines.

That being said I would still baby her in the first few thousand miles or so but it is not necassary, but that is just me.
                        89' Katana 600

Comment

I think is a good deal man, i got a trailer for my bike and it cost me $850 bucks so go for it and all those extras.
                          Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

As far as just dropping it or it falling over, that can happen just as easily to a 20 year veteran and it doesn't make a bit of diff if the bike is new or old. That is shiate that just happens....but it to can be avoided.
                            I agree.

"Is that deal worth it?" To figure out if it's good for you, first find what value you put on the bike. Then, add the gear ONLY IF IT IS PERFECT FOR YOU. What I mean is, if the helmet does not fit perfectly, ignore the fact that you are getting it with the bike. It may seem nice, but you will replace it soon after getting it. The trailer? That is up to you as well.

Assuming that it is in pristine condition, all the gear fits you and suits your taste, and the trailer is NEEDED by you (meaning that you would have to buy one), then Yes, I think it is a good deal. However, if the helmet does not fit you extremely well (or jacket, etc.), use that as a negotiating point on the price. Just because you are getting "things" in the deal does not say anything about how much value they are to you.

Good luck. ....and do not be afraid to walk away if something does not feel right!!!
                            Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                              As far as just dropping it or it falling over, that can happen just as easily to a 20 year veteran and it doesn't make a bit of diff if the bike is new or old. That is shiate that just happens....but it to can be avoided.
                              I agree.

"Is that deal worth it?" To figure out if it's good for you, first find what value you put on the bike. Then, add the gear ONLY IF IT IS PERFECT FOR YOU. What I mean is, if the helmet does not fit perfectly, ignore the fact that you are getting it with the bike. It may seem nice, but you will replace it soon after getting it. The trailer? That is up to you as well.

Assuming that it is in pristine condition, all the gear fits you and suits your taste, and the trailer is NEEDED by you (meaning that you would have to buy one), then Yes, I think it is a good deal. However, if the helmet does not fit you extremely well (or jacket, etc.), use that as a negotiating point on the price. Just because you are getting "things" in the deal does not say anything about how much value they are to you.

Good luck. ....and do not be afraid to walk away if something does not feel right!!!
                              +1...and if the gear and trailer don't suit you, you can always sell them and get some coins back. Ebay will take care of the gear. Trailers usually sell fast for bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X