X

Is this a fair price for a 98?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a fair price for a 98?

I'm new to the sportbike world, and looking to buy my first. I rode a Rebel 250 for a long time, now I want something new.

I found a 1998 Katana 750 for $2750. Here's what's done to it.

New Continental Road Attack tires

New grips

New Pazzo levers

New completely custom Urethane paint job (think bedliner w/o the grit)

New seat

New clear tailight and front signals by Clear Alternatives

New rear flush mount signals

New fork seals

New fuel filters and hoses

Aftermarket tinted windscreen

New brakes all around

New tear drop mirrors

Fresh oil change w/ Royal Purple Synthetic

New battery

New 520 upgrade chain and both sprockets (+1/front)

New red undercarriage LED's to match bike

Have some extra parts to go with it as well (chain, extra fork seals, etc...)

It looks sick with the flat red paint job, I love it. It's a very clean looking bike.

So is it a fair price, or should I try to take it down a bit? I forgot to ask him how many miles are on it. I think I'm going to look at it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Swisher; 06-23-2009, 02:31 AM.
    "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
    -Socrates

I don't think it sounds too bad considering all the stuff that has been done to it, provided he had it done by a professional or knew what he was doing. Looks good. Mileage will make a difference though. Do you know why HE is selling it?
    "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

I don't know why he's selling it. In his ad he said he'd trade for a Harley, so maybe he just wants something louder, slower, and chromier?

It has 21,000 miles on it. It's getting up there. :/
      -Socrates

Comment

Do you know if he has done the work himself? If so, he may be very meticulous about the bike, meaning he took good care of it. Kats are bikes that last if taken care of (just look on KR and see how many own "old" bikes on here. I'd say it's a good deal; hopefully someone else will chime in on here and either back me up or dispute it.
        "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

looks/ sounds good to me..... the best thing about being the buyer is the price is always negotiable i would take him 2k cash and see what he says... if he his resistant.... point out every thing wrong with the bike... how dose it run from a cold start? talk about high miles, touch all of the nicks scratches weathered and worn parts of the bike ... if you can break it down and make it seem worthless(which its not) he will jump at any offer
          Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

This is just my personal opinion- but I think you can find a bike with much lower mileage for around that price. Like this one-

or this one

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...7%7C240%3A1318

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...7%7C240%3A1318 (nevermind the retard can't spell Suzuki)

It's your decision man- but patience is ALWAYS good to have. With that many miles it's a toss-up. You may ride fifteen thousand more miles with just basic service, or--you may be rebuilding carbs (or worse) before the end of the season. And if you DO buy it- get that Effing Royal Purple out ASAP.

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
            and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
            Last edited by Free Coffee; 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
            -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I would go 2 k for that kinda milage. I have a 91 with 24k on the clock. Now granted I rebuilt the engine at 18k...... but still someone rode the Hellz outta it. It can have every bell and whistle on it but if the motor/trannys tired and it goes its just gonna look pretty in the garage. But At 2K Its worth the repair costs if you have to absorb them.
              Last edited by JokerZwild; 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM.
              Joker
              The newest addition to the Family!
              sigpic
              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Yeah with over 20k miles I'd ask him to come down a bit. $2300 would be a good deal if it's in 9/10 running shape.

Also, check the condition of the brake hoses and fluid. And get that royal purple out
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  And get that royal purple out
                  If the bearings aren't junk already.
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

i will sell you mine for that price ...2002-600 with 14,200 miles new tires and everything a-ok -yellow gets them stairing.yellow kitty kat-o- carbon pipe willyco

Comment

I was just looking at a 99 750 and the book was 3100 retail. Ended up settling on an 05 750 w/ 2100 miles for 4200.

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                        i will sell you mine for that price ...2002-600 with 14,200 miles new tires and everything a-ok -yellow gets them stairing.yellow kitty kat-o- carbon pipe willyco

Just so you know Swisher, before anyone goes filling your mind with any foolishness- yellow is hands down, doubtless, without fail- the fastest color.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Thats high even with the work.

Comment

It looks just like mine; only mine is a 600, I didn't have all that new stuff and I paid $2800.
                            Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

Comment

Off the shelf Royal Purple is junk, but the XPR purple is good stuff.

I don't know what oils are out there for motorcycles. I use to use Mobil 1 in all my cars, but I read the VOA on it and it's like 300ppm of zinc. I use Pennzoil Platinum now, it's cheaper and it has like 900ppm of zinc. What do you guys suggest for a motorcycle?

I havent looked at the bike yet, it's been too hot lately.

Oh, and yellow is for sissies. But I'm sure everyone already tells you that. jfwy
                              -Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X