Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Twist your senator's arm!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Twist your senator's arm!

    If you think motorcycles should be included in the Cash-for-Clunkers deal they've passed (as a more efficient form of viable transportation that causes less fuel consumption and less pollution), contact your senator and representative, and tell them to back

    Senate Bill 1248 (sponsor: Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr. [D-PA]), which amends the cash-for-clunkers provision in the current budget to include motorcycles.

    If you're not familiar with the cash-for-clunkers deal, see this thread:
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98801

    Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

  • #2
    Isnt that self defeating? all the clunkers are supposed to get shredded.and it will effect the used parts market by destroying future parts bikes.

    never mind, i thought it was trade in old bikes for new bikes. read the article first next time Steve!
    Last edited by Katana1100; 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM. Reason: because I'm a dumb**s
    WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

    xbox live= katana11
    We Will Always remember!
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Katana1100 View Post
      Isnt that self defeating? all the clunkers are supposed to get shredded.and it will effect the used parts market by destroying future parts bikes.

      never mind, i thought it was trade in old bikes for new bikes. read the article first next time Steve!


      We've all done that before.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        So how would it work for bikes??? Could I trade in my 2000 Kat for say a GSXr 600 or Ninja 250??? I would suspect all newer sport bikes would be more effieicent then the older Kat....
        I am a Penn State fanatic.
        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
          So how would it work for bikes??? Could I trade in my 2000 Kat for say a GSXr 600 or Ninja 250??? I would suspect all newer sport bikes would be more effieicent then the older Kat....
          This isn't a bike-for-bike program, it's a program designed to get people out of 4-wheeled gas-guzzlers that pollute badly. Currently it's car/suv/truck for car/suv/truck that gets better mileage by a specific amount (10mpg better for cars). The bill listed above would get motorcycles included in the new car category.

          It would work like this:
          (A) You trade in your *qualified* automotive clunker (car/truck/suv getting under 18 mpg).
          (B) You get $4500 towards the purchase of a new vehicle that gets significantly better fuel mileage. Currently that only applies to purchases of new four-wheeled transportation, but who can argue that it shouldn't apply to getting a two-wheeler instead? A motorcycle would get better mileage by a huge factor and newer ones would be much more environmentally friendly at the same time...
          I can see it especially viable if you live somewhere that it's a 365-day-a-year form of real transportation (e.g. - SE/SW USA).

          Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

          Comment


          • #6
            Ah.... well I lease both of my cars so not an option for me. Oh well.
            I am a Penn State fanatic.
            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...



            Comment


            • #7
              Last edited by Katana1100; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.. Reason: because I'm a dumb**s
              That made me giggle.

              New to Katriders? Click Here!

              Comment


              • #8
                I think we should tell our Senators and Reps to just leave that $4500 in our pay checks to begin with.

                I don't need them taking my money and giving it back to me so I can spend it the way they see fit. Screw that. Plus who knows how much of our hard earned cash just went down the bureacratic hole. Probably 75 cents of every dollar is wasted on the Washington DC Political machine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                  I think we should tell our Senators and Reps to just leave that $4500 in our pay checks to begin with.

                  I don't need them taking my money and giving it back to me so I can spend it the way they see fit. Screw that. Plus who knows how much of our hard earned cash just went down the bureacratic hole. Probably 75 cents of every dollar is wasted on the Washington DC Political machine.
                  I understand what you're saying and agree fully, but the "Cash for Clunkers" already passed from what I can tell, which means now we're going to be paying for this anyways. Why not have a new motorcycle available as a purchase option? I can't afford to finance the balance on a brand new $20k-$30k+ car or truck using a $4500 down payment, but think a new $7k-$9k bike could be an affordable option for many more taxpayers.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it should apply to buying certified perowned with better mileage as well. that way less wasting of resources on NEW vehicles.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      yeah but that would go against the original intent of the legislation to help the auto/motorcycle industry sell brand new vehicles.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                        yeah but that would go against the original intent of the legislation to help the auto/motorcycle industry sell brand new vehicles.
                        which is going against our environment. nobody wins in the long run.

                        Motorcycles and brand new is like peas in a pod. auto and new = no thank you.

                        I recycle auto's. rebuild bikes, and buy new gas only lol.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X