X

Being mindful of your lines...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being mindful of your lines...

Im putting this out there in the general forums instead of just in the Deals Gap rally forum so everyone can see it.

Thanks to Jimmy, HS2020, and his tank cam, I came a long way this weekend in improving my riding. I couldnt believe how lazy I had gotten riding in PA where the twisties are nothing like even the generic, basic roads down NC/TN. Not that they're are any generic roads where we were at, but you know what I mean. Obviously there isnt much in the whole world that compares to the Dragon, but even the surrouding roads we took all week were second to none. Jimmy, unbeknown to me at the time had pulled out behind me while on the dragon. I was coming by and he was sitting along side at one of the pulloff points. He road behind me for a few minutes and then passed to try and get others in on the vid as well.

When I watched it later that nite, I couldnt believe how far off my lines were and how hard I was working thru the turns on the dragon. Muscle'n the bike around the curves was way too much like work So after watching it, and talking w/ braadajim, hs2020, and everyone else that was sitting there having a cold one after a good day of riding, it was a tremendous help to see what I was doing wrong. Plus wearing new boots didnt help any either as my feet keep sliding down the pegs. Even though I did scuff them before hand, it wasn't quite enough

Anywho, I know myself, Taz, and probably others who got to see themself on video, are grateful for the xperience. Needless to say after watching it, and riding the dragon again before we left, and all the rides after that down there, were 100% different and made me realize that just becuz you dont have the caliber of roads around your house that they have down at NC/TN is no excuse for getting lazy w/ your skills.

I considered myself a decent rider, lots of experience and felt confident every time I went out riding that I could do it safely and have fun..even though I know what line to take and how to ride safely, if you dont consciouly practice and be aware of it, even in the slower easier turns, it becomes alot harder to just "do it" when you really need to be on the top of your game. But after watching that vid, it's still hard to believe how "lazy" you can get when you dont keep consciously aware of your skills; because when you get into a situation of riding a road like the dragon, or any road w/ decent twisties, it shows. I know PA will never have the type of roads that we did this weekend, but we still have nice rides and regardless of the type of roads you ride on, keeping mindful of your lines in the corners is of paramount importance. It makes you a better, safer rider and makes the rides alot more fun and alot less work.

speaking of lines...I watched the photoshoot vid. someone went through a curve and lost his line bigtime cuz he was in the other lane.
    I would call that a "no no".
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe that was a guy that rode of with some friends of Special K. Trust me he got some talking to about that.

Matt, glad I was able to help you out with your lines. I really wish I could have gotten behind everyone at least once so they could see what I was seeing. All in all everyone did a great job in the twisties. I practice my lines everytime I go out, just so I do not get to lazy. Good post Matt.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Yeah you hear everyone yelling when he rode by way into the other lane..fortunately there was no oncoming traffic considering all the bikes that were taking turns going around that corner in both directions.

Comment

I've never done a line. Heard it was bad for you.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

The Gap is no place to ride the other lane fer sure. Too many blind corners to worry about.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              Now why don't I belive this....

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dub
                Now why don't I belive this....
                I think I believe it. I think he is just crazy naturally.....no drugs needed...lol.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Excellent post Matt. Glad I could help to offer some input. Having someone ride behind you with a camera is probably one of the best learning tools there is. Seeing what you are doing wrong really does help more than just hearing it. Big props to HS2020 for spending his time making camera runs when he could have been railing like a mad man!
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Nah, it's good for you, trust me. Tell ya what, I'll let you try it........ first line is always free.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
                      Big props to HS2020 for spending his time making camera runs when he could have been railing like a mad man!
                      Not a problem. I was gald to do what I did for those few. I have some footage of Kat6 as well. I have not uploaded that part of run to my computer yet. I was there last year and got to ride alot. I was able to ride alone on friday in search of killboy so I got my playtime. Hopefully next year I can come up and stay longer and take a day just riding the back part of 28 towards robbinsville away from the GAP doing nothing but that. I will have my tv hooks up this time. This way we can all sit around at night and watch the videos and we all can learn something.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Yeah, we definately need you and maybe a few others w/ cams to take turns video'n the others for training sessions and reference

Comment

If you wan to work on your lines.. ride behind someone slower than you. I knwo as I was playing sweeper for a few rides I was able to take it slow and really work on my entrance and exit lines in the curves.. and it helped a lot. Just becuase i could slow down and was not rushed to get through the curves.
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

great post matt. jimmy, i really appreciate you video taping me as well and can't wait to get the vid.
                            -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
                              If you wan to work on your lines.. ride behind someone slower than you. I knwo as I was playing sweeper for a few rides I was able to take it slow and really work on my entrance and exit lines in the curves.. and it helped a lot. Just becuase i could slow down and was not rushed to get through the curves.
                              as long as you know where you're going!

Comment

Working...
                              X