X

Backfiring, lots of backfiring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backfiring, lots of backfiring

So I have an 89' 750 kat and when I'm cruising around on the bike it's backfiring, like every 5secs. I don't know all that much about bikes, but is it the exhaust or is something really messed up with my carbs? I stopped riding the bike since I'm not too sure about the consequences of backfiring. Some feedback would be really great, I can try and supply more info upon request.

look at your spark plugs

Comment

i have a 91 and had the same problem. now im looking for a new motor. good luck to you

Comment

Cleaned carbs and new plugs will make all the difference.
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by 91bialecki750 View Post
          i have a 91 and had the same problem. now im looking for a new motor. good luck to you
          why you lookin' for a motor?

Comment

Is it backfiring out of the intake or exhaust side? Is it a steady backfire? Only while on the throttle or at wide open? Basically, under what conditions does it happen, and does it do it when you get off/on throttle?
            "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

It doesn't backfire while idling, but when im cruising around at like 55mph in like the 5-6k range it'll sit there and backfire when held at a constant speed. I have no idea if it's the intake or exhast. I won't have time for a couple days to tear it all apart.

Comment

It almost sounds like its a misfire. Is it popping out of the exhaust? or does it sound like its unser the seat? Pull the plugs and see what they tell you.
                "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

Afterfire.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Afterfire.
                    It sounds like it's coming out from the exhaust, so I guess it's an afterfire? Would I just have to adjust the A:F ratio? If so, where in the world do I adjust it? I'm a noob with vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by puryie View Post
                      It sounds like it's coming out from the exhaust, so I guess it's an afterfire? Would I just have to adjust the A:F ratio? If so, where in the world do I adjust it? I'm a noob with vehicles.
                      then find someone who knows what they're doing. you can do much more harm than good monkeying with the carbs if you don't know what you're doing.

however, try this. go to an auto parts store and get a can of seafoam. put it in the gas tank (check can for measuring amount). buy a new set of plugs, install them and ride the bike. the seafoam may clean the carbs without dismantling them.

Comment

You in Maple Grove, PA?

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                          You in Maple Grove, PA?
                          Maple Grove, MN ><

Originally posted by katana bob View Post
                          then find someone who knows what they're doing. you can do much more harm than good monkeying with the carbs if you don't know what you're doing.

however, try this. go to an auto parts store and get a can of seafoam. put it in the gas tank (check can for measuring amount). buy a new set of plugs, install them and ride the bike. the seafoam may clean the carbs without dismantling them.
                          My buddy across the street is a mechanic, he just hasn't had the time to dig into my bike, we've already ran like a can of seafoam through it.

Comment

Stock exhaust?
                            Any changes to the bike? Bought it this way or just started doing it? Always done it?
                            CA model?

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Stock exhaust?
                              Any changes to the bike? Bought it this way or just started doing it? Always done it?
                              CA model?

Krey
                              Well the guy I bought it from told me that the last guy that touched the carbs was a bit of a dimwit. It was like this when I bought it, I have no idea about where the bike's from/ the exhaust on it. Pics is about all I can do, if the problem can be located, I can get my buddy to fix it.

Hope these help.

Comment

Working...
                              X