X

How important is the air box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is the air box?

Okay, that's probably a stupid question for most of you. Anyway, I bought a '93 Kat 600, the guy said it needed "carb work, probably needs syncronized", so, I build a water manometer, and get them as close as I possibly could on a Social Security Disability budget, and still isn't running right. I rip on the throttle and it falls on its face. I have to run the bike with the choke on. I call my local cycle shop to find out how much I'd have to spend to have THEM sync the carbs, and they tell me it's most likely that the carbs are just filthy, and that it would cost about $150.00 to have them clean the carbs and sync them. A little too much at this moment, SO... I look through my Haynes more and more, and see how to remove the air box. Well...I can't find the thing anywhere! I'm thinking the air box is GONE. I want to do so much more to this bike, but I'd like to get it running RIGHT before I dump any money into modifications that make it look nice, etc. Thanks for any and all help!

-Mike-
    sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
    2004 Katana 600 - Gone
    2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

the air box is VERY important

Comment

Would it cause a lot of the problems I'm running into with the carbs? Anyone got a spare air box laying around?

-Mike-
      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

take a picture of the space and post it here, if its got no airbox it will run like crap

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

VERY important for useable power proper tuning.

I have a NICE 93 GIXXER in my shop right now.
          a new owner just bought it and complained it had some tunning issues that made it nearly unridable
          Its got (HAD) two dual outlet K&Ns and factory jet kit.
          A 600 kat would walk all over this bike

I'm putting it back to stock with a dyno-jet kit.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Here's a pic of the "space":

sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Definately no air box there (and thus no air filter). Next step before wasting any more time would be to find an airbox. While waiting for it, you might as well clean the carbs.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

yeah, no airbox. wow!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I got one, PM me

Comment

Is it just me or does it look like they are sitting too high?? Maybe just the angle of the photo...take a pic from the seat position...like you are sitting on the bike looking down...
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

no Jax, that's just you

Comment

Why can't you guru's live in Pa? I'd really like to have someone GOOD go over this bike for me. I'm not good with these, but I only paid $600.00 for the bike, so I couldn't pass up riding for that kind of money.

-Mike-
                        sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                        2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                          Why can't you guru's live in Pa?
                          I was going to ask what state your in as there is a Woodland 30 minutes from me. But your on the wrong side of terra firma.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Get an airbox, and OEM filter. As mentioned, Arsenic can help ya with the box, The_Cyberpoet has new filters for cheap.

Clean the carbs yourself, and save $130. Go to the auto store, pick up the carb cleaner dip can (about $20) and if you don't have a compressor, a couple of cans of compressed air. Download and print Carbs 101 off this site, and go at it.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Some of us are in PA. You are just in the wrong location of PA. There is someone here on KR that lives close to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X