How important is the air box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
    might want to shoot him a pm.. may not be looking back at this thread
    Just got back on... stupid job gets in the way of my forum visits.

I'm about 12 miles south of Harrisburg, PA... Check the KR Map under "site tools" in the menu bar. It's about 5 miles from WildKat; 7 miles or so from Char and MacGyver (thought they're in opposite directions); and there are a bunch of other Katriders (including the guy I sold my pre-98 to) within a stone's throw of here.

Originally posted by Maslonik View Post
    hell i'd give ya some help. i only live 55 miles from you, but sad thing is i just bought mine too and have plenty to learn about it . and CRAP katriderJIM you might as well live in my backyard, your pretty close
    Which Carrolltown? The one west of Bedford or the one south of York??
    Last edited by VifferJim; 06-18-2009, 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

That map is cool. I didn't know we had that. I just added my self to it as well even tho I live in TN.

Comment

ok maybe your not really in my backyard..for some reason when i google mapped it, there where a couple of choices from the Altoona and Ebensburg area and those are deff not yours..and just found out when you zoom out, there are like other choices all over pa

Comment

Originally posted by Maslonik View Post
          ok maybe your not really in my backyard..for some reason when i google mapped it, there where a couple of choices from the Altoona and Ebensburg area and those are deff not yours..and just found out when you zoom out, there are like other choices all over pa
          I was out that way a couple weeks ago... ran to Breezewood, down to 484, across to 144, 326 and back around again... nice day, great roads. Would do it again. Heck, we're thinking about a run out to the Flt 93 memorial over 4th of July weekend.

Comment

Well, got the air box from Arsenic today. I can't believe more people didn't notice it. Then again, a lot of my friends ride...cruisers... Still no starter, when I get the starter and put it on, I can't WAIT to see how this beast runs! Thanks for the input(and jokes) guys!

-Mike-
            sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
            2004 Katana 600 - Gone
            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

If your riding the bike while its running like that, chances are you need new spark plugs! Take the carbs out and clean em (read Carbs 101) get 4 new spark plugs, put the airbox on WITHOUT the filter (you can reach your hand in the airbox and put the boots on MUCH easier!) and use some grease on the boots so it makes it nice and easy to mate the airbox with the carbs. Also make sure the boot is on all the way, or you will have extra air coming in =) Also make sure you have a jet kit, having aftermarket exhaust and no jet kit will also make it run funky! good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax85 View Post
                If your riding the bike while its running like that, chances are you need new spark plugs! Take the carbs out and clean em (read Carbs 101) get 4 new spark plugs, put the airbox on WITHOUT the filter (you can reach your hand in the airbox and put the boots on MUCH easier!)
                Nah , MAYBE pull & check the plugs . Carbs MAYBE will want cleaned . Airbox tip is good , though .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Nah , MAYBE pull & check the plugs . Carbs MAYBE will want cleaned .
                  Since he's gonna be in there, might as well spend an extra 20 bucks on some new NGK R's =) And the Carb clean is free! as long as nothing get's broken.. =P Oh and about the lube on the boots, dont use TOO much, just enough to make it slide on without problems. If you use to much, you go to tighten the clamp and it just slides off.. =P

Comment

Yeah , but I doubt running without an airbox is gonn kill plugs . CHECK maybe , and replace if needed . I have had to work REAL hard to actually kill plugs .....
                    Carb clean IS free , but costs time , and if you don't do it right/ain't careful , you do more harm than good . I'm guessing that since he didn't realize the airbox was missing , a carb clean MAY be a little bit tricky .....
                    But yeah , I had a HEWLLUVA time when I greased the boots . Worked better when I wiped it off .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm thinking I may need plugs too though, because it was heating up pretty bad when I was trying to sync the carbs. I'll try the greasing the boots too. I've heard installing the air box is quite the pain. The carb cleaning...I think I'm just gonna buy some carb cleaner, spray what I can and hope for the best. Thanks again!

-Mike-
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                        Thanks for the tips guys! I'm thinking I may need plugs too though, because it was heating up pretty bad when I was trying to sync the carbs. I'll try the greasing the boots too. I've heard installing the air box is quite the pain. The carb cleaning...I think I'm just gonna buy some carb cleaner, spray what I can and hope for the best. Thanks again!

-Mike-
                        Kats are hot blooded generally - couple that with the other I-ain't-got-no-AAAAAAIR-box problem and you're probably better than 50-50 the plugs are going to be okay.

I hope you get a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
                          Kats are hot blooded generally - couple that with the other I-ain't-got-no-AAAAAAIR-box problem and you're probably better than 50-50 the plugs are going to be okay.

I hope you get a pleasant surprise.
                          Me too! The starter, by all rights, should be here today, so I'll throw that on, and let everyone know how it goes. No carb cleaner today, but I'm thinking it will still run 100% better than when I bought it. Though, I'm sure I'll have to re-sync the carbs with the air box on. The water manometer does do a pretty decent job for $5.00.

-Mike-
                          sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                          2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I know this thread is old but i was looking for some airbox info and came across it and noticed that no one really answered the question. Why?

The airbox is extremely important because it creates a vacuum between the carb intakes and the airfilter, why this is important is becuase the two upper intake holes on the top of your carbs at 11 and 1 oclock are the vacuum holes to raise the slides via a diaphram.. By removing the air box you loose the vacuum and thus the slides wont raise properly.. Ergo your bike will run like a big one legged monkey beyond idle because the butterflys are opening calling for more air yet your slides are remaining down an wont open correctly ie not gonna get propper air flow

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaJoe View Post
                              I know this thread is old but i was looking for some airbox info and came across it and noticed that no one really answered the question. Why?

The airbox is extremely important because it creates a vacuum between the carb intakes and the airfilter, why this is important is becuase the two upper intake holes on the top of your carbs at 11 and 1 oclock are the vacuum holes to raise the slides via a diaphram.. By removing the air box you loose the vacuum and thus the slides wont raise properly.. Ergo your bike will run like a big one legged monkey beyond idle because the butterflys are opening calling for more air yet your slides are remaining down an wont open correctly ie not gonna get propper air flow
                              And the airbox boots equalizes air pressure between all 4 carb bodies...

AND the airbox boots are specifically shaped to generate the venturi for the intake...

among multiple other issues... :P

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X