X

Why would they do this?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would they do this?????

SO I'm riding home from work on a road that I always take home. It's a nice little country road that has a few twists and turns in it to make the 20 min drive home fun. ANyway, about halfway home the asphalt road suddenly turns into F-ing sand. I mean they literally covered the entire road with about a half and inch of sand! Needless to say I slowed down quite a bit and was fuming for the next 6 miles or so of this nonsense. There were no signs and no evidence of any construction to give me some clue as too why they did this. I've been wracking my brain and my buddies who takes the same road home as well. The only thing that we can come up with is that they load the road up with all this sand to slow down motorcycles. It does seem to be a popular route for bikers to take. Does anyone have any idea why they would do this? If it was to slow down traffic seems like a dangerous way to go about it.
    Semper Fi
    1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

6 miles of sand? That's more than even a single truck could dump, so it couldn't just be a sand-hauler with an unsecured tail gate... I'd call the public works department first thing in the morning and have a ***** fit, then call the country commissioner or mayor's assistant [whoever's realm it fell into] to reinforce the same message. You could have literally been killed.

=-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That is crazy!!!
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

maybe they are going to pour cement or resurface the road but signs should be up for sure

Comment

IF it was 6 miles worth of sand I'd sy they are planning some kind of resurfacing. If it was one small area that was covered, especially near any curves, maybe a semi truck or something overturned earlier in the day, and they may have covered the road with sand to soak up any spilled diesel fuel.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

I cant see them pouring sand down if there resurfacing the road .....it just wouldnt make sense. And 6 miles of 1/2" sand is a whole lotta material in itself. Perhaps there was some type of spill B-4 you got out there. But I agree on making a few calls in the AM to get that removed. Thats a nightmare for bikes!
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

rear brake, rear brake, REAR BRAKE! They did the same thing to me a few years back, 9 miles of Pea Gravel. They, however, were resurfacing the road by allowing the cars to pack the gravel down into the black top. Ruined my commute for a long time.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Yes, sand is the base for chip and tar. have fun with that. stone and tar is always fun when it is first put down. There is alot of that here on the country roads.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I would've freaked out and spent the rest of the night thinking of revenge.

Comment

I had a similar expierance the other day when I went to check the settings on my new shock and change my oil. Going along and then bam the road was stripped and full of holes. No signs, ****ed me off.

Comment

Maybe they're building a beach!

Comment

So what did the roads department say today when you called?

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah if there was no sign that's a serious danger to all motorists, especially us on 2 wheels.

I would not let that slide. (get it? slide )
                          Last edited by HexKrak; 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
                            Yeah if there was no sign that's a serious danger to all motorists, especially us on 2 wheels.

I would not let that slide. (get it? slide )
                            BAdump bump Crash!
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

They did something on some onf the twisties I used to hit up back in college. They came along to every corner for miles and miles and cut down the pavment and made it super rough like they were going to resurface it just on the corners. Then I know for at least 4 years they didn't do anything. I don't know if they still haven't, just been a while since I've been back.

Comment

Working...
                              X