X

Ignition Switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Switch

I have 2 ignition switches one of them is broke and has to be turned by a flathead and the other one has a key to it but it doesnt work. Is there any way i can fix the one that has a key so it will work or is there anyway i can swap out the locks so they key will work in the one that uses a flathead?????

Originally posted by 91katana_750 View Post
    I have 2 ignition switches one of them is broke and has to be turned by a flathead and the other one has a key to it but it doesnt work. Is there any way i can fix the one that has a key so it will work or is there anyway i can swap out the locks so they key will work in the one that uses a flathead?????
    You can swap the tumblers, yes.

You will need to disassemble it some to get to the clip that holds the tumbler in. Check the manaul for the details.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok thanks just wanted to know if it was possible.

In the manual that i have (Got off this site) i dont see anything in it about the ignition switch.
      Last edited by 91katana_750; 06-15-2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

you should be able to just move the lock cylinder assembly instead of messing with the "tumblers". they're actually very small pins that are spring loaded. opening the cylinder can litterally SHOOT small parts and springs to places you'll never ever ever find. carefully dissasemble the ignition taking care and you should be able to swap the actual cylinder assy without opening the cylinder itself. most locks are designed to turn back past a catch/lock assy with the key in and slide the cylinder assy out. the one without the key as it's broke will prolly turn past to this catch area with just the screwdriver when properly and carefully dissasembled. quite frankly, you may be able to swap contact assemblies onto the undisturbed cylinder assy instead. remember, IF you open the cylinder assy, small parts will fly never to be found again.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

So i can turn the key past lock and pull the assembaly apart without taking the 2 screws out the bottom?
          Last edited by 91katana_750; 06-16-2009, 06:28 AM.

Comment

you still have to seperate the halves of the ignition to get at the back side of the cylinder on most
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

so the ignition comes aprt? I turn the key to the P position and then i pull it apart?

Comment

Working...
              X