X

Newbie to site, looking for guidance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to site, looking for guidance

Hello all. Just bought myself a 1996 Suzuki 600 F katana. Well this thing needs some TLC for sure. I am going to start by giving it a complete tune up and change out the gas and everything i can think of. The bike has a purple seat and rims. That will have to go. I really would like to buy all new plastics for this bike. Can anyone recommend a cheap place to shop. Aftermarket plastics would be fine, i do not have alot of money. I keep looking on ebay buy i do not see anything posted with my year bike, just newer ones. Any and all help would be great. Or if anyone has a complete kit for my year that they are not using and is in good condition let me know if you would like to sell it. Thanks

Originally posted by jasonisme1977 View Post
    Hello all. Just bought myself a 1996 Suzuki 600 F katana. Well this thing needs some TLC for sure. I am going to start by giving it a complete tune up and change out the gas and everything i can think of. The bike has a purple seat and rims. That will have to go. I really would like to buy all new plastics for this bike. Can anyone recommend a cheap place to shop. Aftermarket plastics would be fine, i do not have alot of money. I keep looking on ebay buy i do not see anything posted with my year bike, just newer ones. Any and all help would be great. Or if anyone has a complete kit for my year that they are not using and is in good condition let me know if you would like to sell it. Thanks
    Search the site... I seem to recall there is an aftermarket body set available for our pre-98 Katana's. Welcome to KR!
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
      Search the site... I seem to recall there is an aftermarket body set available for our pre-98 Katana's. Welcome to KR!

Thanks for the reply, i have been looking, have not found much yet, i have to find handle grips and mirrors and stuff too. Looking to give this thing a make over. Thanks for your reply and thanks to anyone else who responds as well.

Comment

Airtech... fiberglass pieces, cheap... and fit that way as well from what I hear.

ABS aftermarket fairings here... fit a little better so I hear...

Other than that...

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

On eBay, search GSX600F or Katana to find more stuff.

Seat: All you need is vinyl to recover it. Find a vinyl source (good threads on how to recover your seat, and some links to vendors for exterior-grade boat vinyl here on KR).

Wheels: If the wheels are good, talk to a local powder-coater about getting them redone. No sense in swapping wheels when you can simply have these stripped & redone in your choice of colors.

Fairings: the stock OEM fairings come painted in your choice of Suzuki colors. That means, unless you paint yourself or have someone who does, it's probably cheaper to buy the more expensive OEM fairings new in the bigger picture (try www.ronayers.com for pricing on OEM). You may also want to give a yell out to Bob Brown at EmpireGP.com for having the existing fairings repaired as needed (plastic welded if needed) and resprayed in your choice of colorations -- tell him The CyberPoet sent you.

Oil filters, air filters, cables, etc - see my special offers thread here:

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Great feed back. Thanks alot. I am excited. This is the first time i have owned an older bike that i can mod. Looking forward to taking some before and after pics. It wont be as extreme as some of you hard core painters and all but it will still feel good to me to give this thing a make over. I have been reading and learning alot so far in the past two days on this forum.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            On eBay, search GSX600F or Katana to find more stuff.

Seat: All you need is vinyl to recover it. Find a vinyl source (good threads on how to recover your seat, and some links to vendors for exterior-grade boat vinyl here on KR).

Wheels: If the wheels are good, talk to a local powder-coater about getting them redone. No sense in swapping wheels when you can simply have these stripped & redone in your choice of colors.

Fairings: the stock OEM fairings come painted in your choice of Suzuki colors. That means, unless you paint yourself or have someone who does, it's probably cheaper to buy the more expensive OEM fairings new in the bigger picture (try www.ronayers.com for pricing on OEM). You may also want to give a yell out to Bob Brown at EmpireGP.com for having the existing fairings repaired as needed (plastic welded if needed) and resprayed in your choice of colorations -- tell him The CyberPoet sent you.

Oil filters, air filters, cables, etc - see my special offers thread here:

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Welcome to the site. Ebay is usually hit or miss but that's the place I'd look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                Welcome to the site. Ebay is usually hit or miss but that's the place I'd look at.
                Thank you.
                I have been all over ebay, I keep looking. So anything from 97 and older should fit my bike? Or is that just for the plastics?

Comment

Thank you.
                  I have been all over ebay, I keep looking. So anything from 97 and older should fit my bike? Or is that just for the plastics?
                  On pre-97 plastics, the tail sections are different between the 600's and the 750's.
                  My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Thank you.
                    You want to look 89-97 in general.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X