X

blowing fuse WTF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowing fuse WTF?

So my dad just towed my bike to the appartment i'm staying at during the summer, and it wont start. I check and its the same fuse i blew a few months ago. It is the fuse that must control everything because with out it there are no lights or starting or anything, so we moved one of the other fuses in its place and it started but no lights, so that was the fuse for the lights. After it starts i see a flash and the same fuse blew again that controls everything
    1996 katana 750

You're going to need to provide some more details for anyone to tell you where to look, but my guess is that a wire is rubbed through the harness somewhere and shorting out.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Main fuse if it wouldn't start.

Problem is inevitably a bad ground.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

replacing a 20 or 30 amp main fuse with a 10 amp headlight fuse wont help much either
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

If it is blowing, dead short like steves said or maybe even voltae regulator putting out too much voltage. Anything more than 14.5v is too much.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
            replacing a 20 or 30 amp main fuse with a 10 amp headlight fuse wont help much either
            So the main fuse is a 20 or 30? can anyone confirm this? or know for sure what it is? because if that is the case that i'm sure that is my problem. When it blew a few months ago it was just a 15 in it, so i replaced it with a 15 lasted 2-3 months ago until last night then went out again. I wasn't sure if it should be higher and didnt want to risk puttin in a 30 or 20 before knowing for sure, I'd hate to have a fire right there
            1996 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by GPon2whls View Post
              So the main fuse is a 20 or 30? can anyone confirm this? or know for sure what it is? because if that is the case that i'm sure that is my problem. When it blew a few months ago it was just a 15 in it, so i replaced it with a 15 lasted 2-3 months ago until last night then went out again. I wasn't sure if it should be higher and didnt want to risk puttin in a 30 or 20 before knowing for sure, I'd hate to have a fire right there
              No info in your profile, nothing updated in your garage... no clue what bike your talking about.

My pre 750 uses 25 for the main fuse.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                No info in your profile, nothing updated in your garage... no clue what bike your talking about.

My pre 750 uses 25 for the main fuse.

Krey
                Sorry bout that, just added some details to my sig, so confusing being on a few diff forums-jeeps, local offroad club, and local motorcycle forum its hard to remember which you filled out info on that's useful for others. and thanks for that when i got my bike it hat a 15 in the main fuse slot and it had no troubles for like 8 months, then lasted for the past 2 months with another 15 in it. I'll put a 25 in and see how it does thanks for the help everyone, turns out to be just a dumb newb problem
                1996 katana 750

Comment

Main should be a 30, I believe.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    Main should be a 30, I believe.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Clymer manual I have has a pic of a fuse block, with a 25 plugged in (figure 169)...

Either would work fine I would think.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well all my fuses (only have 4) are all 10amp

Comment

Working...
                      X