• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowsided out in Colorado on Monday.

My kevlar lined jeans didn't come through it so well:

Good thing I had these on under them:

And here's a few of the bike:

Here's everything else I took while I was out there: 2009 Durango pictures by wraith0078 - Photobucket

Wednesday I rode from Des Moines to Gothenburg, Nebraska and stayed at a KOA there. Thursday I got into Denver and stayed at a friend's house there. Friday we rode down to Durango with two other guys that met us in Denver. Everyone else showed up throughout the day. There were 18 of us total. Saturday, most of us got up and rode a loop through the mountains around Durango that took about 10-12 hours to do. Sunday, the five of us on sportier bikes made a high speed run down to Shiprock in New Mexico, then over to Four Corners (New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona) then back up to Durango. Monday was when we were headed back up to Denver and the accident happened. This little stretch of road is where that happened at: wolf creek pass - Google Maps I lost it in the middle of that turn in the tunnel, about the third or fourth, segment from the left, and didn't stop sliding until I was about 15-20 feet out the other end. In the oncoming traffic lanes no less. Good thing there wasn't any traffic. Long story short, I was going too fast. Got a couple scuffs on my leather jacket, a strawberry on my left arm and a little roadrash on my right side where the jacket rode up a little. Not a mark on my helmet. The jeans will be replaced with something leather. I'm not happy with how they held up. Otherwise, I'm fine. Just ****ed at myself. I've already ordered parts for everything but the plastics. A bike shop in Colorado checked it out for me and it's fine other than the obvious. I had to repair the cracked generator cover with JB Weld, but I found a replacement on fleabay.
    1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
    1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

Hate to hear that man. Im glad you came through allright. Sounds like it was a blast of a ride though. Good luck with the bike.
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

wow man could have been much worse. Glad you came out ok and had protection under those jeans.
      Let's go riding!

Comment

Glad to hear you're ok. Sounds like it could have been much worse had there been someone comming in the oncomming lane. Other than the oops, it looks like it was a great trip though looking at the pics.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear you're ok and it's also good to see you still have a sense of humor after the accident. The potato head pic had me laughing at work. LOL
          We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

Glad to hear your ok.

Wait, why are you traveling with a potato head?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Mr PotatoHead-Katana-Wreck rules...

Glad you walked away... kevlar jeans aren't everything they claim... Those legs protectors are though!

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow...I have been thinking about buying some of that Icon armor to put under the jeans...guess I will be now. Thanks for the test run, but glad you are okay.
                2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                BMC Notorious 918 HT
                2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Glad yer alright man!
                  sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                  '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                  '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Really glad to hear that your alright and that the damage looks mostly cosmetic.
                    sigpic
                    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                      Glad to hear your ok.

Wait, why are you traveling with a potato head?
                      Ms. Potatohead was our mascot for the meet I was attending. It was a bunch of us from beginnerbikers.org and the member's house we were having it at's username is MsPotatoPotatoHead. Hence the PotatoHead toy.

And yeah, most of the damage is cosmetic. I have a hairline crack in the signal generator cover that was leaking oil. JB Weld fixed that and I have a new cover coming from e-bay. After the accident I still had to ride it 250 miles up to Denver. I also just got home after putting another 160 on it. I'm still pretty stiff and sore, but the bike seems to be just fine. Figured I can either use this as a learning experience or stop riding and I'm all for getting back on the horse that bucked you. Besides, those twisties are addictive...

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      Mr PotatoHead-Katana-Wreck rules...

Glad you walked away... kevlar jeans aren't everything they claim... Those legs protectors are though!

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Yeah, once I pay off the money I had to borrow to rent a truck to drag it back to Iowa, those crappy jeans are getting replaced with something leather.

The bike would have been fine to ride back, but I wasn't really in any condition for it.
                      Last edited by wraith0078; 06-11-2009, 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Originally posted by wraith0078 View Post
                        Yeah, once I pay off the money I had to borrow to rent a truck to drag it back to Iowa, those crappy jeans are getting replaced with something leather.
                        If you ride in hot weather, they make perforated leather riding pants... if you find a set that match the zipper at the bottom of your jacket, it won't ride up and expose your hips the way it did this time...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry to here you went down after such a good trip but better the end than the beginning... never mind no time is a good time

Comment

i will be buying some armored jeans this weekend, i think.
                            joey b.

Comment

So I'm a little sketchy on the details and nobody was behind me to fill me in, but as far as I can remember, I entered the tunnel somewhere between 60 and 70mph. I realized I was going way too fast for the corner and slowed it down as much as I could in the space I had before the road turned, got off the brakes, leaned into the turn and started praying. I started drifting wide and had that thing leaned over farther than I've ever had it before. I felt the right peg start dragging and a second later, the tires found the painted centerline and that was all she wrote. Either that or panic finally took over and I grabbed the brakes. Either way, similar effect. I remember seeing the bike sliding ahead of me, then I slammed into the tunnel wall and slid a bit further down the road, trying to steer myself towards the shoulder with my hands, since I was in the oncoming traffic lane. I could see far enough at this point that nobody was coming, started rolling and tucked my arms into my sides and tried to stay loose. Not sure how well I did, judging by how sore I am. Somehow, I managed not to hit my head on anything. There's not a mark on my helmet.

Originally posted by kharma View Post
                              i will be buying some armored jeans this weekend, i think.
                              Screw that. Get leather. There's a couple scuffs on my jacket and that's it. The jeans are toast. They were Sliders jeans, which are essentially the same as Draggin' jeans. They didn't hold up well at all. If it weren't for the armor underneath them, I doubt I'd still have a right kneecap.
                              Last edited by wraith0078; 06-11-2009, 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Working...
                              X