X

Close call... almost highsided

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call... almost highsided

Phew, got my blood pumping and heart pounding this morning on my way to work. There is a Walgreens being built right on the corner of an intersection near where I live. I have to make the same right turn everyday and I make it at the same speed and lean every time. There must have been some sand on the road (they have been doing some concrete work) because half way through my turn I feel the back end slide way out and the bike dips to the right. I don't know exactly what I did, but I think I shifted my weight forward and slightly to the side when the bike corrected itself. The only thing I know I did for sure was that I got my butt off the seat.

Thankfully everything straightened out and I was on my way like nothing happened. (despite a bewildered construction crew who saw the whole thing)

For a split second I thought I was going to be saying "Hello pavement, goodbye brand new paintjob". Looking back on it, I have gathered a few things.

1. Always take construction zones extra careful. You never know what could be on the road.

2. I can 100% relate to a post somebody made a while back. They said something to the extent of "If something bad is about to happen, DO SOMETHING". Amen to that. I think if I would have just held on for the ride I'd have been a road ornament for sure.

3. Wear your gear. Even though I didn't wreck, it was a sobering reminder to dress for the crash. I had my boots, jacket, gloves and helmet, so if the outcome would have been worse, I'd have been much less scathed vs. having little/no gear.

Anyway, I'm just glad I'm not on here asking for new fairings and gear!
    Let's go riding!

Yiiiiikes! Yeah loosing the A** end is never fun! Glad you pulled it off. Well done!
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Nice save.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

good save dude!
        Godspeed
        CSBA #1167
        Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Good save, nothing... Awesome save! The first time I really lost my rear end for real (other than in the MSF class) it didn't catch again until I had turned about 120 degrees and was looking at the curb that had been on my right side before. I got launched! Again, gear is a good thing. Saved my butt. All I got out of the deal was a raspberry on my hip and some scratches on the paint job.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Nice to hear you pulled it out of the slide.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

wow! im going to take those everyday corners w/ a little more caution. construction or no construction. never know

Comment

How fast where you going?
                We intimidate those who intimidate others.
                Stay Alert! Stay Alive!

Comment

Nice save and +1 on ATGATT
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

construction or not, you never know what's around the next corner or over the next hill. great job on the save.

Comment

Great save! shorts gonna come clean tho?
                      WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                      We Will Always remember!
                      sigpic

Comment

Wise lesson there for all of us. And a secondary lesson to relate.
                        Be wary around construction. Simple nuff.
                        Secondly... taking the same route/road everyday or all the time...and getting "comfortable" means you let your guard down. Complacency is where 99% of accidents/fatalities can occur.
                        NEVER let your guard down. Approach every intersection, every turn, every inch of road as if you've never rode on it. Even if you've drove it, ridden it, a million gajillion times. A small puddle of coke some kid poured out the back of mommys suv is all it takes for you to come along on a summer day and whoop.... there you is. Staring up at the big blue....bike 50 yards from you.

Comment

Sweet Save! Glad it turned out well for you....definitely makes you more wary
                          vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                          midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                          Go Cardinals!

Comment

I had something similar happen but I slid on on ice and just barely saved it. Guess that's why you shouldn't ride in NY in January...

Comment

Great save, great advice. Lots of noobs are out wrecking so far this year. Hope a few of them read this. Be careful out there everyone.
                              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                              BMC Notorious 918 HT
                              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X