X

Got a ticket on my Kat, and it's BS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a ticket on my Kat, and it's BS

Hi, Ive been a member of the site here for about a year but havent been too active on here but I have to see what you guys think about this situation I am in. So me and my buddy took our girlfriends out to eat at a restruant on lake michigan last night we had a good time and so on. Anyway we're on our way back home (about a 45 minute ride), we were literally a mile from my friends house when an oncoming car(which I later found to be a police officer) swerves at me and gets into my lane, before turning his siren on and running me off the road. (oh and just for reference it was about 10:40 at night) My friend who was way ahead of me kept going cuz he didnt even see the cop. At this point im thinking what is going on because I was going the speed limit and everything. So the police officer gets out and asks why my buddy ran. I said I dont know, and then asked why he pulled me over. He said that a county sheriff clocked us at 91 in a 55 about 5 miles ago on a different road. I then said theres no way that was us, etc., and he was like ok whatever we'll figure it out when he gets here. At this point 2 sheriffs pull, but still not the one that clocked us because he was booking a someone at the jail. Anyways he finally pulls up tells me to give my friends name or theyre taking me to jail for wreckless driving, I finally give up his name they go get my friend from his house give us a big lecture, and both the same ticket for 91 in a 55. My fine is $253.50. Anyways my question to you guys is how can they even prove it was us? All they know is that there were 2 motorcycles going that fast, it was dark out and the officer was traveling the opposite direction, the motorcycles he saw were going 91 mph how can he identify them and say it was us? We're not the only motorcycles on the road. Secondly theres no way he clocked us both going exactly 91 because we were not riding side by side. Where he claimed to see us my buddy was a good 25-50 yards ahead of me. Anyway im going to fight the ticket. What do you guys think about this? I got to get out of this ticket or i have to sell the katana because I wont be able to afford the ticket, and the insurance for both the bike and my car because my rates are bound to go up.

Fight it. The burden of proof is on them not you. If they can not provide tangible proof that it was you then they don't have a case. I'd see if you can chat up a lawyer to make sure their testimonies alone wont do it, but I suspect they won't since the officer that saw the speeding bikes never even showed up to confirm it was or was not you.

One thing though, when you fight it, if the officer that issued you the ticket does show up, do not throw a fit when he changes his story. Rebut it as calmly as possible. Flying off the handle won't earn you any points with the judge. Tell the story as you told it to us, and hopefully the judge does the right thing.
    Last edited by HexKrak; 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

They can't prove it was you. If they did not get your plate on film and keep you in sight the entire time, it will get thrown out and you will win. Fight it by "Trial by Written Declaration". If you lose that (which you won't), you get a second chance in person at court...

Comment

that's utter lamesauce.

i can't imagine they could make that stick.
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
        [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

How could the officer that supposedly clocked you do so, if he was at the station booking somebody at the time?
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Make sure the part where the officer ran an innocent civilian off the road by driving into his lane is mucho clear. One shouldn't be endangering another's life over a speeding ticket to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
              How could the officer that supposedly clocked you do so, if he was at the station booking somebody at the time?
              He was on his way to the station with the guy he was booking when the "claimed" to have saw us.

Thanks for the responses guys, Im hoping I can beat the ticket, I talked to my girlfriends dad who is a police officer, and he said its a weird situation and it could go either way so idk
              Last edited by Norm152; 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

all i know is it sucks..... and well fight it.... but stay calm..... but without the real officer that clocked you and without proof of it being use guys i think its in your favor not the officer.... but main thing is they will see how you react to the situation in front of you... so if your calm about it you should be out of there nothing on record and a good laugh at the fact you got pulled over for nothing lol....... makes me think of a couple of weeks ago when i had my buddies truck and i did every thing legal. then next thing you know cop pulls me over and hes like you know why i pulled you over? im like no.... well you didnt have your seat belt on.... im like thinking hes on f... crack cause i had it.... so im like sorry officer but i had my seat belt on and i can swear it on my moms head..... so hes like no i saw you put it on but thats ok can i have the paper of the vehicule..... so i gave him every thing but didnt get no thickets.... funiest part i was in front of his house and was parking the truck when it happened.... lol

Comment

It's going to come down to the discretion of the judge. If the cop lies and says that he clocked you the best you can do is ask for proof. Remind the judge that you're not calling the officer a liar, but that it's a case of mistaken identity and could happen to anyone.

Comment

First off, man, I have to move to Michigan, you guys have cheap tickets.

Secondly, you gave up your buddy, seriously? Repeat after me, "I don't know who that guy was."

Now, you have to decide if you were profiled simply because you were on a motorcycle. Sounds to me like you were, and I would probably seek legal representation.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I can't believe you were out crusin last night, It was a little cold!!! FIGHT IT!!! local or state cops??

Comment

Well it all makes sense when you say it to us but in court they're basically going to say the officers word hold more weight to yours. I have been in this exact situation but on two different accounts. I've been clocked while the officer was riding on the opposite side of the highway as their radars work from a 360 degrees now. My boyfriend and I once were speeding down a hill - 87 in a 45 - and although my boyfriend was behind me we both got the same exact ticket. We fought it on account of "how can you clock two people at the same time", but it still wasn't dismissed. I'm all for fighting tickets. I think they're absolutely ridiculous, expensive and it's just stupid not to. I would certainly argue that there are other motorcycles out there, that you would never put your girlfriend as risk by riding like that etc. But in the end, I think the fine will stick. That's just me! If you can at least get the ticket reduced to say 70 in a 55 then your fine won't be as steep and you'll be able to pay all your bills. But I wouldn't certainly put up a hell of a fight. GOOD LUCK!!

Originally posted by thetable View Post

Secondly, you gave up your buddy, seriously? Repeat after me, "I don't know who that guy was."

Now, you have to decide if you were profiled simply because you were on a motorcycle. Sounds to me like you were, and I would probably seek legal representation.
                        Those are cheap tickets! I thought the same thing. Not too shabby.

As for giving up your friend I've gotta agree with him. When my boyfriend and I were pulled over, the cop only got behind me so my boyfriend drove past us. The cop demanded that I tell him who was on the orange bike but I refused. Once I got my ticket and started driving down the road sure enough I see my boyfriend pulled off to the side of the road waiting for me. DOH! The cop got right behind him, lit him up and wrote him the exact same ticket.
                        Last edited by Enjay386; 06-10-2009, 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Diggity View Post
                          I can't believe you were out crusin last night, It was a little cold!!! FIGHT IT!!! local or state cops??
                          Local cop was the one that pulled me over, county is the one that clocked me at 91. It was a bit chilly last night, but overall not too bad.

Originally posted by thetable View Post

I tried telling them I didnt know who he was, until they were putting me in the back of the car for wreckless driving, were going to impound my bike and take my girlfriend home in the back of a police car.....And my buddy was fine with it, he said he felt even worse for leaving me there.

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                          They can't prove it was you. If they did not get your plate on film and keep you in sight the entire time, it will get thrown out and you will win. Fight it by "Trial by Written Declaration". If you lose that (which you won't), you get a second chance in person at court...
                          Thanks for the info, Ill try that for sure. Ive never heard of it before do they do it in every state? It sounds like a good bet though.
                          Last edited by Norm152; 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Fight the ticket...

"Your honor, it wasn't me. We weren't even on that road on the night in question. We have witnesses and the route from where we were (where witnesses can place us) to where the officer stopped me does not include the road that the officer claims he clocked us on. I realize I should have my man-card taken away for narcing out my friend to the cops, and for that I'm truly sorry. But, in order for the officer's account of the events to be believed, we would have to be the ONLY two motorcyclists on the road within a 10 mile radius. That's unbelievable all by itself."
                            "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Well- wait. I'm pretty sure that a radar gun doesn't work accurately if the police officer is moving. So I'd get that crap straight first.
                              Last edited by JACKAL; 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                              -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Working...
                              X