X

Changed the oil today couple of questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed the oil today couple of questions

Well I changed the oil today on the kat. I used a K&N filter and the valvoline 4 stroke oil which had the SG and SF rating the bike called for.

My question is after I filled the bike up with new oil it looked like clean oil, BUT after a bumped the starter a few times to fill the filter and refilled to the F line the oil looks darker than the old oil why is that? Do I need to drain that oil out and stick with mobile one that 10 bucks a quart?

I mean It very dark almost black and this is the new oil I am talking about.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
    2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

that is odd. dirty sight glass maybe?

Loosen the drain bolt and collect a small sample (messy but hey). That will indicate the true oil color for you.
    2008 ZZR 600 (His)
    Black
    Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
    Red
    Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

That's the oil that's left in the oil cooler and whatever oil passages, oil lines, etc that doesn't drain out of the oil pan.

I don't sweat it when I do my oil change. As long as I have new oil and oil filter it's all good.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the glass is clean the old oil looked like well oil but kinda goldish but this is black.

Is there a way to pump all the old oil out of the cooler?
        2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

Comment

Get your engine hot, pull the drain plug and leave it overnight. If you're really keen, unscrew the top bolts on the oil cooler as well.

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

not worth the trouble ... you will be fine just how you are
              so many roads so little time

Comment

hot engine when you drain , little dangerous but drains out better
                ON center stand of coarse
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

ok, thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                  X