Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Raise your hand if you've done this . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise your hand if you've done this . . .

So I don't post all that often here on Katriders although I check the forums daily. This time is the exception because I just need to vent a bit.

Yesterday, I rode to work, realized I was just about to be late, jumped of my kat and ran to the elevator. After a long grueling day, I head back to the parking garage looking forward to the commute home (I think only a rider could understand looking forward to the daily commute). When I turn my key to the on position . . . nothing. No oil pressure light, now neutral indicator, I even flipped my brights on and off. Nothing. At this point, in my head, I could swear I heard Nelson from the Simpsons point and deliver his architypical "HA ha"

Turns out in my haste to not be late for work, I turned the key that one extra click past the locking position into what I like to call the "Please drain my battery as fast as possible position".

Don't get me wrong, I love my bike. I'm a certified Kat nut scoffing at those that can't see the beauty of this bike. But how I do HATE that little "feature"!

So after a quick call to the wife to come pick me up, which took about an hour since she got lost on the way here, I dug up a screwdriver and channel locks, (note to self: put a wrench in the toolkit!) got the battery out, got home charged it and came back at midnight to pick up my bike!

Is there anyone else out there who has done this or am I the lone knucklehead who can't figure out how to turn a key?

I've never done that but my ignition isn't all that great, it won't let me turn my key to the lock ignition mode and lock the steering. I haven't figured out why yet
    1999 Katana 750

Comment

I'm pretty sure I don't have the original key assembly. It appears to have been replaced after an accident by a PO.

Guess I'll consider myself lucky at that.
      Last edited by HexKrak; 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

yeah mine had that but i didn't think you could get the key out on that setting....ahh well...That sucks dude....But lifes a lesson you learn it when your through

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

My bike has it but I can't get the key out when it's in that position.
          'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
          ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
          ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

ALMOST have... And on a Pre, it don't take that long to suck it dry
            sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
            '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
            '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Dfurgi View Post
              I've never done that but my ignition isn't all that great, it won't let me turn my key to the lock ignition mode and lock the steering. I haven't figured out why yet
              Are you making sure the wheel is turned all the way to the left? It won't turn to the lock position if its not.

Comment

My question is why did you leave the bike and take the batt??? You could have jumped it or even push started it.

You are lucky you came back to find the bike there.
                2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                BMC Notorious 918 HT
                2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

i've done it before. luckily the only time i did it, i was going to class, and i only had 1 50 minute class that day. once i was done, i walked out to my bike, and i noticed the tail light on. i stood there for a moment like uh...? oh... oh no... quickly went up and saw i left it on 'P'... immediately put my key in, and tried to start her up. thankfully enough battery was saved that i could start it with no problems. i've drained the battery a couple times though, once when i was going to a new shop for the first time. wasnt sure which side was the entrance, parked my bike, left the key in and on. DOH. walked around, found the owner, and went to wheel the bike over. dead. twice while sitting on the bike and leaving it turned on while doing so. didn't realize how long i was sitting there, both times talking to someone, and just turned the key on and sat. well when it came time to start, not enough juice. my question for you though, why not just jump it? why take it out and go back at midnight?
                  2004 Katana
                  GO OWLS!!!

Comment

To fix:
                    1) Adjust the wheel (move it back and forth slightly while all the way left).
                    2) Push down on the key while turning to lock.

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                    yeah mine had that but i didn't think you could get the key out on that setting....ahh well...That sucks dude....But lifes a lesson you learn it when your through
                    You can. It's just like parking lights on a car. For safety. It let's you turn the lights on while pulled to the side of the road and not get plowed over at night.

I've left it there before but the bike was still good after 2 hours. Lately, not so much.
                    Last edited by brooder; 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                    -Terence

Comment

haven't done that one yet.....thank goodness
                      This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I've pulled in the driveway stopping by the house for "just a second to grab something", and just flipped the kill switch on the bars, then got side tracked and forgot the key and headlight were still on draining the battery. Luckily I've only done that at home though, so it was no big deal charging it or jump starting again so I could leave.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

My pre ignition lock didnt work either an somebody had obiously tried to pick the lock at some point.. so I bought a new one from oldbikebarn.com and it fit perfect and works perfect..but you can pull the key out even when the taillights on. If you park in a parking garage always park up a couple levels if possible...much easier to jump start a bike rolling down the ramp

Comment

yep thats a crappy day! Never drained it dead but yes I have over turned the key locking the bars. I luckly I wasnt away from the bike all that long.
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I also have that exact same problem with mine, I did get it locked once but it was a pita to get unlocked and the key out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X