Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Raise your hand if you've done this . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what? who me? do something stupid on a bike? never !!!!! (the list is long and impressive) I always try to check that the lights aint on before i walk away.

I've always been tempted to wire a switch into the headlight circuit for when the battery gets low. no lights might just get me the little extra juice to kick the skoot over. US bikes have a little jumper in the right switchpod connector block for the headlight circuit you can use, or get a canadian or european right switchpod with the headlight on/off switch in it. this, however, wont help with leaving the tail light on as it's a different circuit.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

yep i've done that a few times

Comment

Guilty... I've done it only once so far though. I make it a habit of turning the key all the way to that point of "I'm going to drain your battery if you leave the key here mark, Moron" and then turning it back to the Lock position. Lesson learned
        Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

i've almost done that, but i've noticed that all my lights were on before i walked away. but if the battery dies, just pop start it, simple enough...just need a slight downhill
          "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

That depends on how bad it dies. If your battery is completely flat, you're S.O.L. That's what happend to me. No juice, no go not even a bump start.
            2008 ZZR 600 (His)
            Black
            Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
            Red
            Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

CenCalKat My question is why did you leave the bike and take the batt??? You could have jumped it or even push started it.

I tried push starting mine one day, down hill, down lots of hills. Not even worth a try. Try a jump or charge the battery.

Comment

Been there....done that......and have a new battery to prove it!
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I haven't done it, but hubby has on his Ninja. So when I got my Kat, he pointed it out to me, so I make sure I'm in the lock position and not Park.
                  This is only the beginning.

Comment

I'll go you one worse in the "I'm in a rush/being an idiot about lights" category...

I was at the '04 or '05 rally, and another rider and I were running late to eat at the Tapaco Inn (the last place in the area to still be open for food that late in the evening) -- trying to get in the door before the kitchen & restaurant as a whole closed. We zipped into the parking lot and pretty much ran inside... when we came back out after eating, I realized not only had I not shut off the running lights, I had left the key in the slot AND left in run with the headlights on (it would appear I just hit the kill switch and then blanked on anything but food as I dashed off). Battery was so dead, it didn't even want to light up the dash.

Fortunately some local popped by to grab a six-pack of beer with his pick-up truck and was willing to let me charge off his jumper cables (5 minutes) while he got his beer, then I finally got it started. By the time I got back to Fontana, the battery was cook-top hot from charging as I rode... I let it cool down, then charged overnight on a charger and was fine -- but I replaced it about a month down the road anyway; it had seen better days at that point, with the casing actually being a bit wavy from the heat of that ride back.

From that day on, I've been extra cautious about the lights on the Kat... The ZX-14 I have now has the running light option in the other direction -- past run clockwise, instead of past park counter-clockwise.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

never done that. but i did do something dumb about a month ago

bike was running kinda rough, so i figured i'd look at it after work. SO i turned sat on the bike, leaned it to the center, turned the key and hit start. nothin.

i had recently rewired my signal lights, so i thought F*** i've blown a fuse or killed a relay, or i've finally found that bad switch that people pepper the mechanics 101 room with, and i was nowhere near replacement parts.

pull off my helmet and gloves, get halfway through a profanity till i realized the kickstand didnt pop all the way up , it fell just short of contacting the button.

and yeah, people saw. curses.
                      charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerx52 View Post
                        never done that. but i did do something dumb about a month ago

bike was running kinda rough, so i figured i'd look at it after work. SO i turned sat on the bike, leaned it to the center, turned the key and hit start. nothin.

i had recently rewired my signal lights, so i thought F*** i've blown a fuse or killed a relay, or i've finally found that bad switch that people pepper the mechanics 101 room with, and i was nowhere near replacement parts.

pull off my helmet and gloves, get halfway through a profanity till i realized the kickstand didnt pop all the way up , it fell just short of contacting the button.

and yeah, people saw. curses.
                        Yep been there a few times! But after the first you tend to realize it and dbl check b4 you wig out.
                        Joker
                        The newest addition to the Family!
                        sigpic
                        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I have left mine in Park for several hours (8+ hours) and it has been fine. All LED's, with the exception of the headlights, draws very little power.

JHILDE
                          Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Working...
                          X