Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

anyone elses thumb get numb after long rides?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone elses thumb get numb after long rides?

Hey im just wondering if anyone else gets this, ive put on about 900km in the last three days or so, and my thumb is numb, almost like when your hand falls alseep, except it has been like this sence the first day. It isnt nearly as bad as when your hand is asleep, like i can move it and feal everything with it, but it still has a slight tingling sensation. When i went for a big ride last year on my klr650 i had this and it lasted about two weeks. should i be worried?

you may have carpel tunnel syndrome,may want to have a doctor check you out. just my .02 though
    WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
    We Will Always remember!
    sigpic

Comment

could be your gloves.
      Let's go riding!

Comment

I get this on my throttle hand on longer highway or twisty rides. I attribute it to a few things:

-Excess weight on my wrists makes my hand wrap tighter around the throttle
        -Gauntlet style leather JR gloves, they fit pretty well (size S and I have tiny hands) but after a while of my thumb straining against the leather I get that same feeling

I think it's the combination of my weight pushing my thumb forward and the leather gloves fitting so well for sport riding that hold it tight and screw up the blood flow.

I'm not too worried about it.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

never had that problem try and find a more comfortable pair of gloves. they also make almost like a wrist guard for your wrist and thumb

Comment

I don't really have that issue but after riding in the city a bit my left wrist hurts from using the clutch so much. I think it's also due to having over sized grips. I've heard of the thumb going numb before though so I'm sure someone has a solution.

Comment

If your fingers are falling asleep.... that's not good

try reading in this thread...

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

this has been happening to me also, On my clutch hand mainly a numb sensation above my thumb
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedge View Post
                  Hey im just wondering if anyone else gets this, ive put on about 900km in the last three days or so, and my thumb is numb, almost like when your hand falls alseep, except it has been like this sence the first day. It isnt nearly as bad as when your hand is asleep, like i can move it and feal everything with it, but it still has a slight tingling sensation. When i went for a big ride last year on my klr650 i had this and it lasted about two weeks. should i be worried?
                  Vibration or an un-natural position can cause your hands and fingers to go numb (fall asleep) due to lack of blood flow. If you change the posistion and restore the blood flow, feeling should return fully with no tingling after just a couple of mins.

If your hands or fingers do not return to normal after a couple of mins, you have an issue. As mentioned, very likely a case of carpel tunnel. See a doctor!!!!

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There's a nerve cluster in the middle of your palm. If you're holding that against the grip for an extended period of time it can take a while for the nerves to return to normal. Sometimes a couple of days if you've really beat things up. I get it pretty often on really long days in the saddle unless I use a throttle lock to give the right hand a break.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've never had that happen. I could only guess that it's because of too much weight on your hand?
                      Are we riding yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X