No announcement yet.
X

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else have the same problem?

On about 5 different occasions my 06 Katana 750 almost fell over while on the kickstand. Just recently it fell over in some grass(thank God) and I had to pick it up. The other times I was able to catch the bike before it fell over. I notice that the kickstand seems pretty short for the bike, however it is the stock kickstand. This may seem like a stupid question but do any of you guys have problems with the kickstand? Any suggetions that could help me from future fall overs?

Sincerly,

Ray

I only had the bike fall over once from a kickstand circumstance. However, the fault was my own. I stop the in the driveway and was rushing to get inside a house. I flipped the kickstand down without confirming that it touched metal, it's limit. I jumped off the bike and it started going down. At that point I just tried to soften the blow by slowing but not trying to catch it from falling down.

Now I check to confirm the side stand is down as well as rolling the bike backwards or forwards, depending on the grade, till the tranny takes hold. I've never had an issue since.

There have been other who have said they had issues with the stand as well, but I believe it's just a matter of improper usage of the side stand, then an actual design flaw.
    Last edited by squiggy; 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

had a 98 that i had lowerd and it gave me problems all the time..it would fall over alot..guy at the shop was concerned with it as well (he noticed while he was changing my oil) so i had ime put a new one on.
      pveity = 100%

Comment

I wasn't too impressed with the sidestand either. Now I just make sure I leave the bike in first and roll it forward until it stops. That way the bike can't roll forward and flip the sidestand up.

I'm also not impressed with the center stand. It seems to want to come off it too easily. I'm going to also have to look into some stronger centerstand springs as the centerstand on my bike bounces and hits my left foot whenever I go over a bump.

Comment

Yes, the sidestand sucks something huge. It's awful. Same with the Hayabusa.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Make sure its not bent. They arent the strongest stands and have a habbit of bending and causing the bike to fall. (Seen it, trust me.)

Originally posted by primal View Post
            I'm going to also have to look into some stronger centerstand springs as the centerstand on my bike bounces and hits my left foot whenever I go over a bump.
            Mine too!
            Last edited by HemiKat; 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Why did it fall over?... Not leaning enough, leaning too much?

Everything stock, or has there been adjustment like lowering the bike?

I've never had isues that were not user error...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

always turn handle bars to left in lock position , straight or to the right will garantee a fall

I have heard of guys grinding the stop so the stand goes farther forward

I thought it was my Ohlins creaping it up but 100 % sure the direction of the handle bars causes it
                Last edited by rexazz2; 06-06-2009, 07:58 PM.
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Are you leaving the bike in neutral?

The only time I've ever had this happen was the day I picked up the bike and stopped for gas, got off the bike turned to grab the gas nozzle and out of the corner of my eye I saw her start to slide forward. I managed to catch her, but after that day I always park it in gear not neutral.
                  Kyle

Comment

The bike hasn't been lowered, it's stock. I do have an aweful habit of leaving the bike in neutral and not in gear so that more than likely is the problem.

Comment

Yeah, that could do it... Nothing to prevent it from rolling then...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Im always looking at it to see if its going to roll a little after i put the stand down - and double check your angle of a up hill or down hill

Comment

I actually parked mine facing downhill tonight . STEEP-*** hill , too . No problems . Guess proper sidestand usage takes practice , too .....
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have to agree with checking to see if the bike has ever been raised or lowered. That is definitely a major issue.

Comment

The first day I owned the Kat it lurched forward after I thought the sidestand was set....Thank God it had a slider on that side...
                              Learned the lesson that day that the Kat kickstand is not as nice and obvious as other bikes-so now I triple check, and set the stand with wheel turned in and pull/push on the bike to make sure it isn't going anywhere.
                              vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                              midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                              Go Cardinals!

Comment

Working...
                              X