X

Apparently Royal Purple sucks!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently Royal Purple sucks!

So my bike has had some issues. I couldnt get the figured out so I took it to a local shop, Pro Stock Performance. $250 later my bike purred like a ktten, idled great and ran stronger than she ever had before.

Two weeks later, she idled a little high, around 2k. A week after that she wants to idle around 3k, and when I set the idle down the oil pressure light wants to come on.

I figured the shop had screwed something up so I took it back to them. It was the oil! They changed the oil, I recently had Royal Purple 10w 40 full synthetic motorcycle oil in it. I wanted the best for my Kat so I thought I was buying the good stuff. They put in 10w 40 Castrol Actevo and she runs like a dream. Never idles over 1500rpm and the oil light never comes on. Apparently the Royal Purple was letting my bike get too hot. And the oil only had 400 miles on it.

Chris at Pro Stock told me they had a race team that Royal Purple sponsered. They went through 3 engines in one season with spun bearings. RP told them to send back a sample of the oil, so they did. Royal Purple said that the oil they received wasnt thiers and the motor failure couldnt have been because of the oil. Yeah right. Pro Stock had a full (and free) 55 gallon drum of oil they sent back to RP because they werent going to use it.

So another $65 and my Kat is running good again. Wish I would have known it was the oil I could have saved some money and done it myself. I guess I'll see how this oil is doing 400 miles from now.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Wow, good thing you nipped that in the bud!
    Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
      They put in 10w 40 Castrol Actevo and she runs like a dream.
      I've been using that oil as well for quite awhile.

I would like to try the Mobil 1 stuff for bikes, though. I cannot find it locally. It is supposed to have a much higher temperature rating than the Castrol.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I'm a diehard fan of Shell Rotella-T synthetic. My bike is running Suzuki synthetic (from the previous owner), but I've got a jug of Rotella to put in it come next oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          I've been using that oil as well for quite awhile.

I would like to try the Mobil 1 stuff for bikes, though. I cannot find it locally. It is supposed to have a much higher temperature rating than the Castrol.
          I am going to stop using mobil 1 because it is $15.99 / litre
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

That's the main reason I have not switch to any of the fully synthetics is because of the cost.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I've used Castrol Actevo for all of the 50k miles on my 2005 GSX750F and i've never had an issue.
              2005 Aprilia RST1000
              2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
              1998 Chevy Tahoe
              www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Working...
              X