X

Anyone here have one eye?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have one eye?

I accidently shot myself in the eye today with brake cleaner and it got me thinking. Could you ride a motorcycle with one eye? I know with one eye your depth perception is really thrown off.

Its funny now that I think about it, I could have lost an eye and all I could think of was, "oh crap, I wont be able to ride anymore."
    Last edited by HemiKat; 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Actually, my grandfather was in a car accident about seven years ago and lost his left eye. He has always ridden Gold Wings (like hardcore touring), and despite the doctor's orders NOT to ride, he did continue. A couple years ago he had a GoldWing Trike built, so that's a tad safer I suppose, but it makes me nervous knowing he doesn't have all his depth perception and periphial. I've caught a bug in my eye when riding with my visor up a couple times and boy... I can barely keep it in my lane!
    Originally posted by katanawarrior
    I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

bet it wasnt the enviromentaly friendly brake clean either not that it is much better plus it doesnt clean very well
      got stung just under my eye last summer, swelled shut by the time I got home
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Depth/distance perception would definitely be down.
        Last edited by Nero; 06-06-2009, 01:56 AM.
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Yup.

A big brown one!
          2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
          BMC Notorious 918 HT
          2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

I have eye problems that causes one eye to not focus properly and track with my strong eye. When I am really tired and not holding a good focus on controlling it I have a very noticeable laps in depth perception making it very hard to ride at times.

Early and late in the day are bad times.
            Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

i frequently have one eye. My eyes are veeeeery touchy about things getting in them, like grit or eyelashes. i'll be forced to use the eyewash station at least a few times per month, and for those who havent used one- they dont work very well.
              charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

I know one or two members with one eye . I'll let THEM tell you more about it .....
                So , you got you some safety glasses now , right ? I keep eye drops in my pocket , too . Brake cleaner in the eye SUCKS !
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've lost a contact and had to ride home with "one eye" once. That's about as close as it gets for me. But it sucks and I took back roads the whole way. I have an uncle that rides with one leg though, granted it's a trike.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    I know one or two members with one eye . I'll let THEM tell you more about it .....
                    So , you got you some safety glasses now , right ? I keep eye drops in my pocket , too . Brake cleaner in the eye SUCKS !
                    I normally wear glasses, so I have a set of prescription safety glasses which I work in, but I was going to pick my bike up that day and didnt want to mess with the glasses and helmet so I wore my contacts. Thats just how my luck works.

Ask me what happened when I didnt wear my steel toe works boots!
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

having nearly blinded myself on countless occasions as a 20something year old dip****, i learned that lesson the not so hard way.

on the plus side they keep making leaps and bounds in eye biotech stuff

if i lost an eye theres no way in hell id stop riding.

Comment

I do...

LOL!

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                        Yup.....A big brown one!

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                          I accidently shot myself in the eye today with brake cleaner and it got me thinking. Could you ride a motorcycle with one eye? I know with one eye your depth perception is really thrown off.

Its funny now that I think about it, I could have lost an eye and all I could think of was, "oh crap, I wont be able to ride anymore."
                          Yes, you can ride with one eye. Trust me, I only have 1 eye I can see out of.
                          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

As sasquatch noted, it can be done!

People who start with two eyes can usually do ok with just one eye, because your brain has already be trained with lots of clue-systems to determine depth/distance based on only one eye's input (for example, you already know about how high curbs are, so you know how far away they are just by how tall they appear). Same thing applies to riding in general -- if you've already ridden for quite some time, you ought to be able to still ride -- but I wouldn't want to have to try to train a new rider on how to do it.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              As sasquatch noted, it can be done!

People who start with two eyes can usually do ok with just one eye, because your brain has already be trained with lots of clue-systems to determine depth/distance based on only one eye's input (for example, you already know about how high curbs are, so you know how far away they are just by how tall they appear). Same thing applies to riding in general -- if you've already ridden for quite some time, you ought to be able to still ride -- but I wouldn't want to have to try to train a new rider on how to do it.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Yeah, I was born this way, and spent years learning depth perception. I have never had an issue riding, but I have been on some form of 2 wheeled vehicle since I was 9.
                              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X