No announcement yet.
X

Night rides, twisties and deer, oh my!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night rides, twisties and deer, oh my!

A few nights ago, I decided to go out to some twisty roads in the area at about 9PM or so. High beams a must; no streetlights in this area.

It gets a little BFE, but I'm familiar with the roads; no blind, new turns at night or anything to that effect.

After about an hour and three-quarters and 3 pounds of bugs removed from my faceshield, I started heading back. The thing about BFE at night is that all the wildlife comes out to chill in the roads, like all the rest of the cool kids do. They also adore staring at my beautiful, mesmerizing headlights. After rolling past a raccoon I could've kicked on the way by, three deer with their heads over the fog line, and a suicidal bat, I decided this was cookin' up to be one heck of a disaster.

So, I did what any reasonable human rider on two wheels in BFE would do; I found a cage to hide behind. Better him than me.

I and my unwitting protector rolled from the 50MPH zone into the 35MPH zone. It's still dark. Real dark.

At the next stoplight (one of the few for miles); WOOP-WOOP! Blue light special. I move over to the right, waitin' for the officer to pass me. Nope.

Darn.

I remove my helmet, cut the bike and wait. Dude steps out of the squad car, walks over, asks for my license and registration. No problem. After 2 minutes of fiddling with my high-tech waterproof registration storage (three or four ziplock bags of varying strength locked under my seat), I hand over my info. He shines his beatstick-light on 'em, and casually asks if I know why I'd been stopped.

Actually, I didn't. I'd missed said 35MPH sign, concentrating on my shield and the road ahead. He thoughtfully enlightens me. 53 in a 35. DOH!

Next item in that sequence is the inquiry as to why I was going so fast. Growing up, my mom always told me that truth is the best policy. I happen to agree with her. Dang. I just know I'm about to sound like a retard explaining this.

I jab my thumb in the general direction of the car that has long since rapidly retreated into the distance, "To be honest, I was tryin' to keep up with that guy so he could block the deer."

When the officer finally stops laughing, he hands my stuff back to me, "I'm not even going to run your [expletive]; that's the best excuse I've ever heard!"

Whew!

We talked about motorcycles for the next 5 minutes or so, then he tells me to ride safe, and go find another car to keep up with.

Yeah. I did 2-5 miles under the speed limit all the way home.

Can't even make this stuff up.

Life's good!

--B

great story wish i get a cop that believes anything i say even when its the truth

Comment

That's great,... nice to get a good cop who understands the hazards of biking at night!
      ROCP

Comment

Nice!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

thats sweet, its always cool when you get a cop whos actually one of the good guys, and not out to jus mess with you

Comment

The truth always has the right ring to it and on those really lucky days helps get you out of a ticket.
            If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

That's Awesome man... +1
              sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
              '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
              '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

LOL!!! Nice, glad he let you off
                Godspeed
                CSBA #1167
                Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

thats lucky. i was following a po-po down the freeway one day and there were no other cars around... i guess we were doing about 80 and he pulls off to the side and gets behind me and pulls me over!! WTF RIGHT! he asked if i knew how fast i was going. like you i tried the honest route and said i think WE (being the key word) were going about 80. Jerk gave me a ticket and justified it as he could have been speeding to an accident. Asked him if he was.. he wasnt. should've fought it but he was a (four letter word) so i went to driving school.

ride safe

Comment

Very smoooooth!!
                    This is only the beginning.

Comment

Sweet, cops need a good honest laugh at times and if you tell the truth, they seem to know it ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

sweet

Comment

prettty cool move on the cops part! and +1 for telling the truth.
                          sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                          k9 GSX-R 600
                          GO VOLS!

Comment

Originally posted by bobkat420 View Post
                            thats lucky. i was following a po-po down the freeway one day and there were no other cars around... i guess we were doing about 80 and he pulls off to the side and gets behind me and pulls me over!! WTF RIGHT! he asked if i knew how fast i was going. like you i tried the honest route and said i think WE (being the key word) were going about 80. Jerk gave me a ticket and justified it as he could have been speeding to an accident. Asked him if he was.. he wasnt. should've fought it but he was a (four letter word) so i went to driving school.

ride safe
                            So long as you didnt pull up your shirt and show the Judge "wHAT YOU WERE WORKIN WITH!" I think you coulda fought it!
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                              So long as you didnt pull up your shirt and show the Judge "wHAT YOU WERE WORKIN WITH!" I think you coulda fought it!

Can't believe a Virginia cop let you off. You guys have it tough with cops down there. Every time I travel through Va I always see at least a dozen traffic stops on the highway. Guess its a highway patrol thing?
                              Let's go riding!

Comment

Working...
                              X