X

I went off roading with the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went off roading with the Kat

Went out for a ride Sunday with a co-worker & some other guys he know. Co-worker was on a R1, we had 2 Gixxer 1k and Busa in the group. I showed them some curvy back roads on a map that looked nice to me. One of the Gixxer boys said he know the road so he lead the way. Just be we started my co-worker tells me ride at your own pace. I think to my self they can't go that fast on roads they don't know. We start out I am in forth postion behind the Busa and R1 behind me. I am doing preaty well they are pulling away out the turns but I am keeping up. Until we come to a 20 mph 90 degree left hand turn. I set up for a out side in right as the Busa exits the turn a car comes from the other way. I ajust and stay on the out side so not to be close to the car. Right as I go to lean the back tire starts to dance on me I stand her up and went right into the tall grass. Thank God I missed the ditch. After my co-worker shows me were I can get out I was able to ride the Kat out of the grass. He was suprise I did not go down... so was I. You would think that would be the end of the story no. We get going again and about 20 min. later the lead Gixxer goes down. When I come around everyone is stopped and I see him getting off the ground and his bike is in the woods. I find out a deer jumps out in front of him thank God he did not hit the deer. Put a big hole in his knee that had to get stich up bike was not bad he was able to ride it home.

Well, I'm glad to hear you all came out okay. That could have been a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

nice control

Comment

As someone who has recently ridden over their head, that's what this sounds like. I got lucky like you and didn't fall, but it's something to think about.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

What Scotty said....Glad you're alright!
          THE DOC
          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
          mistake when you make it again.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys +1 for MSF class get control of the bike before you break
            If I did not hit the sand I would have been fine but I can see now I was pushing it too much.

Comment

it sounds like some one was icthing to show off to the boys ..ride safe and dont take chances....when you hit the asphalt your *** is your fault no matter whos fault it is ... glad to hear for the most part things are still o.k.

Comment

I have seen things like this many times in the past. Even though I have years of experience riding when I am on a new to me road I always take it slow, ride the road both directions checking out curves as some may get much sharper as you go around, checking the road conditions as I have found new pavement pathches with loose gravel on them in the middle of a corner. After riding the road if all things are good then the fun can begin.

I ride with new riders from time to time and always tell them to ride their own ride and will usually slow my pace down to help keep them out of trouble. I usually lead them down a good twisty stretch of road a few times a bit faster to help them learn and always stop at the end to answer questions and offer advice/instruction if I have noticed something that they are doing that presents a hazard.

Not slamming anyone over this one. Riding at your own pace and comfort level prevents panic situations. It sounds as if you handled the situation you faced pretty well. Best advice is to replay the event in your mind, learn what you could have done better, practice what you learned, and enjoy riding.
                If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Yes, Thank God you and the other guy are cool. Good save!
                  Godspeed
                  CSBA #1167
                  Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Glad to see your ok and everyone is alright...fortunately for me I havent been in that situation and I hope i never will...although I DID have to watch my dad's front end wash out in front of me in a turn but he amazingly put his foot down and accelerated and pulled right out of it without a scratch on the bike or him!

Comment

glad ur ok. i too went down last sat. must be something in the air. a lot of guys wnet down the pass month, and mostly all in a sharp turn.

Comment

you are very lucky to gotten away with that without any harm.

Comment

I had the same situation but with wet grass and was not as lucky as you were. Glad to hear you are ok though thats all the matters. Bikes can be fixed a lot easier then you.
                          Originally posted by chrisgreer23
                          Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
                          2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
                          1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
                          2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
                          1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

I hate deer. And stitches.

Comment

Working...
                            X