My Dyno'd 90 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dyno'd 90 Kat

Heya all

At the recent Sport Bike rally I got the old Kat dyno'd!

Lets see...

It blew alot of smoke (nothing new there)

It has the 3rd lowest hp of all the bikes tested!

At 99,895 km, my Little '90 Kat 600 cranked out 67 hp at the rear wheel.

Good, bad, or ugly? From what I have been told, that's apparently pretty close to brand new stock.

-Grimmy
    Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

For the miles that's on it and with it blowing smoke,I think that's pretty good! 8)
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

sounds good what have you done to it, or is the motor all stock?

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
        sounds good what have you done to it, or is the motor all stock?
        Bone stock, save for some new clutch friction plates about 2,000 km ago, which I got on ebay for $9.99 plus shipping.

No engine work save for regular maintenance from what I can see.

-Grimmy

Comment

Dump some sea foam in your gas and see if it will help with the smoke thing
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

if it was only smoking on throttle roll-off you might be lucky and just need to get it a new set of piston rings
            -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Originally posted by Lagmo
              if it was only smoking on throttle roll-off you might be lucky and just need to get it a new set of piston rings
              i dont think you get lucky and need piston rings lol its not difficult for someone who knows what they are doing but if im gonna od piston rings im not gonna put stock ones back in there im gonna up the bore too lol

Comment

easy enough to find out if you need rings or not. do a compression test and write down all the numbers for each cylinder. if they are all relatively close to each other, that is a good sign. once you tested all the cylinders "dry", dump about a tbls of oil into the cylinders, crank it over a couple of turns and test again. if you see a jump in compression, rings are worn. if it is only a small amount...5lbs or so....then your smoking might be from something else......from running to rich to worn valve guides, which is quite possible with that much mileage.

and duffy,.....hope you count new pistons in that.

and Lou....at 60k miles on the engine, I think he might be beyond anything sea-foam can do for him.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  and Lou....at 60k miles on the engine, I think he might be beyond anything sea-foam can do for him.
                  You're absolutely right, it's well into the Marvel Mystery Oil, Duct Tape, and JB Weld territory now!
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
                    Originally posted by Mojoe
                    You're absolutely right, it's well into the Marvel Mystery Oil, Duct Tape, and JB Weld territory now!
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The bike just rolled over 100,000 km today on the way to work!

um... the smoking... smokes at anything above say... 6 or 7 thousand RPM's, throttle on or off... I am thinking probably top end, but I wouldnt be surprised if rings needed replacing.

Car work - I have no problem with - inside a Motorcycle engine? New ground for me - I will do 1 of the following:

1) transplant a new(er) engine into the bike
                      2) transplant a new(er) bigger engine in the bike
                      3) sell bike next year, take a loss, and buy a GSXR or another SS.
                      4) keep driving it and see how long it can go before she blows up! (parts are so expensive on bikes)

-Grimmy

Comment

Working...
                      X