No announcement yet.
X

I found a rider down today.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job! I lost a whole day of my life in a 25ish mph 'get off' on a very desolate western Carolina mountain road a few years ago. Thank God for someone like yourself who 'found' me on the side of the road STILL FULLY GEARED just sitting there! Not a scratch, only a small scuff on my Helmet, but hit my head hard enought that 8 years later I STILL can't remember what happened after lunch that day! Can only imagine what no gear and higher speeds would have been like!

Hop

Why tiptoe through life cautiously, only to arrive at deaths door safely?

Comment

Mandatory helmet laws should be mandatory...

Because otherwise SOME people will NEVER get it.

Comment

Good thing you saw him. Smart not to move him too. Ran to the nearest house though? Don't you guys have cell phones out there in TX? lol, but seriously I'm sure you saved that man's life. Definitely gotta wear the gear, even if it's for a short ride around the block.

Comment

Many places do not have coverage , like many places WE ride ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
            Many places do not have coverage , like many places WE ride ....
            +1 Some areas we ride, we can put in 400 miles in a dy and not have cell coverage on half of the roads we are on. Getting service in those areas means sending someone ahead on a bike (usually one of our faster riders) to find a summit to get service, or pay phone in a small town somewhere. Occasionally we get lucky and can find a DOT roadside callbox that automatically dials 911.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

If you guys frequently ride in risky places with no cell-coverage, you might want to look for one of the GPS emergency notification beacons. These grab GPS data then send a signal to satellites, which is relayed to the closest fire-rescue squad; time to dispatch and how close it narrows down on you varies by model, but the high-end units get within 10 meters and have a five-minutes-to-response-rolling time-frame. Prices vary from about $130 to somewhere north of $500... Make sure you specifically get one with the transmit on the right satellite frequency (and not merely cell-network coverage) -- the FCC changed satellite frequencies a few years ago, and the new signal is digital & with the GPS data has a much faster response time.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dang that guy is truely lucky you noticed his hat chillin on the side of the road. I hope everything turns out for him but still he shoulda had the gear. No hat for me im suiting up. I just dont trust anyone on the road even myself sometimes.
                92 Kat 750 rebuild from dead 108 days and counting till i get my license BACK
                01 mercury cougar
                00 cougar black
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X