X

Getting rid of my Kat :-(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of my Kat :-(

Looking to get rid of ole girl. I haven't had the time to look around for someone to repair the one stripped spark plug threads. The local shop told me $900 to fix, but I'm preparing for a wedding and not interested in completing the repairs. I'm looking to get er sold for no less than $2000, so if u know someone interested.... reach out to me! Looking to get a bigger bike like a Honda Goldwing for my future wife and I to travel down the highway on.

Thx
    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

900 dollars just to helicoil a spark plug hole???????

costed me 20 bucks to buy a 1/2" impact drill from harbor freight, 20 bucks for a 5/8" bit, and 45 dollars for the napa spark plug helicoil kit.

Not sure how easy the spark plug holes are to get to but i just brought the piston to the top of the cylinder on my honda, put some oil on the bit, went slow........tapped, blue loctite on the helicoil, 160 psi compression. so for under 100 bucks i managed to save it.

If you were closer i'd offer to help.

Comment

I had that done to mine about a month ago. In the end it was a little over $120. My plug blew out while riding.It all good now. I have checked it a couple of times to see if any of the rest have moved and nothing is wrong.
      sigpic

RIP CP
      50th Anniv R6
      95 Katana 600
      http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by 4cylfun View Post
        900 dollars just to helicoil a spark plug hole???????

costed me 20 bucks to buy a 1/2" impact drill from harbor freight, 20 bucks for a 5/8" bit, and 45 dollars for the napa spark plug helicoil kit.

Not sure how easy the spark plug holes are to get to but i just brought the piston to the top of the cylinder on my honda, put some oil on the bit, went slow........tapped, blue loctite on the helicoil, 160 psi compression. so for under 100 bucks i managed to save it.

If you were closer i'd offer to help.
        That's exactly what one of my friends told me to do but I wasn't sure. I went to NAPA and they didn't have a 10 mm coil or insert kit that small for my plug My buddy just didn't want to do it and have it not work correctly. So I haven't touched the bike for about two months now. SHe's just sitting in storage

Comment

Hope you don't lose your ride over something that may not cost too much. Shop around some more for viable solutions.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
            Hope you don't lose your ride over something that may not cost too much. Shop around some more for viable solutions.
            Thanks! I just spoke with a friend of mine who is very mechanically inclined and he said that he would give it a go for me. He just wants to make sure that he does it right, cylinder head to highest point, go slow, lock tight, blow out shavings then use tiny vacum to get out shavings, tap hole straight, etc.

It gave me confidence to try to get it repaired once I got replies from the members of above that have done this and had success. I'll give it a go and pray for the best. If not, I'll be back to probably sell her in pieces. I hate to get rid of her for such a small fix...

Comment

Just me thinking out loud, but I would put the piston on the exhaust stroke so I could blow any chips out the exhaust. Hmmmmm...

Anyway, you can buy helicoil kits over the web. What is a spark plug thread? Is it 12mm x 1.25?

Comment

I know on mine i had the piston on compression stroke with it at TDC. That way the shavings that did fall in i could visually see and vaccum out. You also don't want to accidentally drill into the valve sticking out or nick it. Anyway I blew it out, then vac'd, blew, vac'd, blew one more time and then used a flashlight to see al that i could. I also stuck my pinky down into it to see what if i could feel metal.

After the coast looked clear i oil'd up the tap and went slow. If i got a lot of shavings i backed out and cleaned it off. Didn't take me more than 10 minutes i'd say. Granted the honda is also a twin so it was easier than giving candy from a pedovan :P

I'm not sure what pitch my NGK plugs were but napa had it. They only had one left so they had to order another but they may have to special order it for you.

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                Just me thinking out loud, but I would put the piston on the exhaust stroke so I could blow any chips out the exhaust. Hmmmmm...

Anyway, you can buy helicoil kits over the web. What is a spark plug thread? Is it 12mm x 1.25?
                Holy ****, where do you live?!?!?

We live in the same town
                Last edited by 4cylfun; 05-29-2009, 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Good point about hitting the valve. Grease in the tap flutes catches most of the shavings too.

I live on Elm by the old Middle School, where do you live?

What year/color is your bike?

Comment

if your friend and you can't figure it out. give Thazkat a shout, he's only about an hour away from you, his rates are less then half of the dealership. He's the one who built my 6/11 kat
                    Chrome Project Part 1
                    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Yikes! It's such a nice bike too I hate to see it go. Good luck with your wedding! Smart thinking about incorporating the wife into the next bike purchase too lol

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post

I know it's difinitely a 10mm and I think it's 1.25, so 10mm x 1.25. I guess it's an odd small size because NAPA doesn't make kits for ones that small. I took it to a local machine shop and the guy there didn't a a insert tap kit that small and thought my plug came from a weed eater or a lawn mower or something. He siad he never saw one 10 mm before coming from a motorcycle.

Comment

Sounds like someone has a problem here!
                          The hardest part is finding a insert for me. If any of you have that info pm me. I will check my tools to see if I have the tap!
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If you know for sure what size you need, you can fine the insert# here down around page 13 http://www.emhart.com/pdf/Heli%20Coi...%20Rev%204.pdf
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X