X

2006 GSXF600 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 GSXF600 Katana

Hey all, I am new to this forum and I thought I would say hello. Not only am I new to this forum but I am new to the bike world all together. The title of this thread is the bike I just bought. So far I am very pleased with it. However, I have run into a bit of a snag. I registered the bike about 1 month ago. Recently I got a letter in the mail from the state saying that I had the wrong engine and frame number written on the title. I have looked all over the bike and have found numerous numbers but cannot seem to find which one of these numbers is the correct engine or frame number. If anyone could help me locate the correct ones I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this post.

-Metafiend

P.S. Also, I did not get a manual with the bike and I was wondering if anyone would have some ideas as to where I could get one at a reasonable price. Thanks again.

Welcome! I have the same bike, just got it last year, and prior to that hadn't ever been on one. I really enjoy it. You should get some pics up when you get time. Sorry, can't help you with the numbers as I don't know that much about them. There are plenty of people on here that seem very knowledgable though, so I'm sure you will get an answer quick. I did find a Haynes manual that is mostly the same. So far I haven't found one for the 2006, but this one goes up to 2003 (I think) and thus far everything seems to be pretty much the same. I got it from Amazon, if that helps. Take care and welcome to KR!
    "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR, I hope you enjoy the information and ppl on this site as much as i do.

Comment

Thanks a lot for replying. I guess I will just wait to see if someone is able to help me with the numbers. I was able to find a manual but they wanted $90.00 for it. I happen to think that is a rip off but I may just have to spend the money.

Comment

on the 2006 katana, you can find the VIN on the right side (if your sitting on the bike)
          of the steering stem on the frame..it starts with JS1G. Just look under the top triple (where your handle bars (clip-ons) are mounted).

Hope that helps.
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Is the engine number located inside of the VIN? If so, what numbers are they?

Comment

I think the engine number is on the engine by the oil fill cap if its the same on all of the kats- welcome to the site

Comment

Met, where is your grab bar? I just looked at the bike pic and it doesn't have one. Did you take it off, or did the guy you got it from not have it on there?
                "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I am not sure what that is. But, if it is not there then it was removed before I got the bike.

Comment

Met, look at my bike in my garage (click on "My Garage" under my avatar) and you will see a black handle behind the seat. That is the grab bar. Two bolts under the seat remove it. I'm guessing since you don't know about it then the PO must have taken it off.

sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, I was unaware that that was a stock part. I thought it was an accessory that you would have to buy later. Anyways, I think I saw one somewhere for like $120.00.

Comment

Just did a quick look and found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...1%7C240%3A1318

I had looked a few months ago since mine got scratched up (don't let passengers wear belts with metal studs on them!!!) but instead had a friend (body shop guy) paint it for me. Maybe somebody on KR can find you one in better condition and cheaper. There are some others on Ebay but I just grabbed the first one I came to. Hope this helps. If you are looking to do any mods to your bike, KR is the place to find out about them! I have done a few already, and am going to be doing the mesh mod in a week or so.

sigpic

Comment

What I am looking to do is upgrade the pipe, fender eliminator, chain and sprocket and what ever mods I can do to make this bike scream.. Also, do you know if I upgrade my pipe if it will increase take off or torque at all?

Comment

What little I know about bikes (just got my first and only bike last year) is that a changed exhaust needs a jet kit. Might want to check on that though rather than just checking with me. There probably are a billion people on here who know more about it than me

sigpic

Comment

yeah mine when i bought it the guy had but a k&n and a pipe..... never jetted the bike cause he says they dont work properly after..... well first ride to the dealership to get a safety i just pushed it a bit and it laged baddly..... it was a dangerous bike to ride, so its jetted now and it works real good!!! oh and sounds real good to lol

Comment

Working...
                              X